Windows Server 2016 clients on WSUS 2016 - "Not yet reported" RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening,

I recently installed the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) role on Windows Server 2016 (Build 1607).  All of my client machines are reporting in and getting updates except for the Windows Server 2016 machines.  I have followed all of the recommended solutions that I can find including running the following:

net stop wuauserv 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f  
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientIDValidation /f 
    net start wuauserv 
    wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

When I attempt to view the WindowsUpdate log, I run the PowerShell cmdlet "Get-WindowsUpdateLog".  I get gibberish with a bunch of lines like the following:

Unknown( 17): GUID=5e176dd5-9030-3682-669c-80da5c4e4617 (No Format Information found).

Further research indicates that it can't read the symbol cache.  I have deleted the cache, and it reloads, but I still get gibberish in the log file.  Therefore, this is a really difficult issue to troubleshoot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PC Landfill

• Edited by PC Landfill Monday, November 6, 2017 4:21 AM
    Monday, November 6, 2017 4:08 AM

Answers

• If that still doesn't fix the problem (or you want to regain some Freedom from WSUS),

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Proposed as answer by AJTek.caMVP Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by PC Landfill Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd suggest you try :

1. remove one of these 2016 servers in WSUS console then run following command on that server .

2. run commands below on that 2016 server:

net stop wuauserv 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f 
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f  
    reg Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientIDValidation /f 
    net start wuauserv 

3. rename "SoftwareDistribution" folder of that 2016 server

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
    net start wuauserv
    net start bits

4. run powershell command on that 2016 server:

(new-object -Comobject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).detectnow()

Wait the computer registration and report .

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:58 AM
  • If that still doesn't fix the problem (or you want to regain some Freedom from WSUS),

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need!

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Add WSUS Index Optimization to the database to increase the speed of many database operations in WSUS by approximately 1000-1500 times faster.
    2. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database (Default; Optional).
    3. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining multiple types of updates including by default any superseded updates, preview updates, expired updates, Itanium updates, and beta updates. Optional extras: Language Packs, IE7, IE8, IE9, IE10, Embedded, NonEnglishUpdates, ComputerUpdates32bit, WinXP.
    4. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    5. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    6. Compress Update Revisions.
    7. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    8. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    9. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily set it to any configurable amount including 0 for unlimited. This is a manual execution only.
    10. Checks to see if you have a dirty database, and if you do, fixes it. This is primarily for Server 2012 WSUS, and is a manual execution only.
    11. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    12. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use so don't over think it. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment (email settings only if you are accepting all the defaults), simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, or run the Dirty Database Check, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

• Marked as answer by PC Landfill Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:17 AM
  • Remember, a new server does not mean it's optimized or clean!

• Elton,

Thank you very much for your valuable input.  I have followed all steps prescribed and the server reported its existence to WSUS, but still has a status of "Not yet reported".  I have waited over eight hours, for the results to change, but they have not yet.

If I manually check for Windows updates through the Windows Update app in Settings, I get the following message:

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024401c)"

With recent Group Policy updates, we also have the ability to block updates from Windows Update for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, which I have now done.

To be continued...

PC Landfill

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:46 AM
  • Adam,

I'm cautiously hopeful that your script may have resolved the issue.  I ran it about 1/2 an hour ago, and I've actually had a few Windows Server 2016 servers check in!  Hopefully, that's a better picture.

I'm impressed by the script and its ability to execute.  Just for the cleanup, it is an outstanding tool.  Our database is responding much faster, and it was a brand new database.  I started all over when moving to Windows Server 2016, choosing to leave the old database behind.

Thank you, and I'll keep you posted.
    PC Landfill

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:51 AM
  • Adam,

I'm cautiously hopeful that your script may have resolved the issue.  I ran it about 1/2 an hour ago, and I've actually had a few Windows Server 2016 servers check in!  Hopefully, that's a better picture.

I'm impressed by the script and its ability to execute.  Just for the cleanup, it is an outstanding tool.  Our database is responding much faster, and it was a brand new database.  I started all over when moving to Windows Server 2016, choosing to leave the old database behind.

Thank you, and I'll keep you posted.
    PC Landfill

I've made you a believer!!! W00t!!!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Adam,

Thank you again for the VERY helpful solution!  It worked perfectly and has drastically increased the performance of the WSUS database queries.  Keep up the good work, sir!

Sincerely,
    PC Landfill

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:19 AM
  • Adam,

Thank you again for the VERY helpful solution!  It worked perfectly and has drastically increased the performance of the WSUS database queries.  Keep up the good work, sir!

Sincerely,
    PC Landfill

You're welcome :)

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:33 AM
  • thanks for your help
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:52 AM