In Navigator Pane view in Explorer, I can have different items selected in both panes. This means I can delete two different things at once, on accident. Help? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 7 in a domain environment at work. This problem only happens when I'm using Aero; if I use Windows Classic, it doesn't happen. I'm an end-user, and my sysadmin isn't likely to spend any time or resources on this issue, so my ability to troubleshoot this issue without guidance is pretty limited.

Let's say I'm shuffling icons in Windows Explorer. I decide I want to delete a file. I navigate in the tree pane to the folder that contains the file I want to delete. I click on that folder; it's highlighted blue. I then click on the file in the right-hand pane, which highlights that file blue. Usually, the selection in the left-hand tree-pane turns grey, and then I whack the Delete key on my keyboard.

Sometimes, the selection in the tree pane stays blue. If that happens, both files get deleted.

I assume (guess, really) that this is because of network lag; my selection in the tree pane is is the same, but a slight delay in population of the tree (because some of those items are far away on the local network) means that the left-hand pane updates while I'm messing around in the right-hand pane. So, it re-highlights the grey selection to blue, is my guess.

This seems to be limited to Aero; I don't experience it when I'm using Windows Classic. My fix is "Just use Classic!" but I don't care about the interface at all, whereas my technologically incompetent co-workers say "But that's why we upgraded, right?" They don't really get that it's still Win7 under the hood when I turn off Aero.

Any suggestions about how I can fix this? Does my reasoning sound plausible, or is there another better answer? I tried searching the Internet, but all variations on "explorer pane steals focus" bring up a different problem with Internet Explorer stealing application focus. Even if you don't have any suggestions on how I can fix this, could you at least tell me what search terms I should be using to try to research this? Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Yah Shoor

Thanks for posting.

This bug has been reported and escalated to the proper team at Microsoft.

It's apparently not due to network lag, since the behavior can be re-created on standalone systems.

There is no current fix except, as you already found, to use the classic these or to just remind everyone to be very diligent when deleting anything from within Windows Explorer.

We are also reminding everyone to make sure that the Recycle Bin is enabled.

Here is a screenshot of this issue when deleting a Sub-folder where the Parent folder is also selected. Note, the name of the folder that is being deleted in the confirm dialog box.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Hi Yah Shoor

Thanks for posting.

This bug has been reported and escalated to the proper team at Microsoft.

It's apparently not due to network lag, since the behavior can be re-created on standalone systems.

There is no current fix except, as you already found, to use the classic these or to just remind everyone to be very diligent when deleting anything from within Windows Explorer.

We are also reminding everyone to make sure that the Recycle Bin is enabled.

Hope this helps.

Well, it helps my general state of mind to not know that the problem is not between chair and keyboard. :) 

The fact that our network has no network trash, and that shadow files work inconsistently, means that there's no fix besides using Windows Classic. Oh, well. Is the bug-tracking system public? (So I can watch for a fix and ask my sysadmin to prioritize the rollout of whatever patch this bugfix will be rolled up into when released by MS?) Diligence won't work here; we're mostly keyboard-obsessives who touch our mice as little as possible, and have been doing so since Windows 95. It's hard to retrain yourself when you've invested fifteen years of muscle-memory in a task. I guess it's time to roll back to Classic.

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Is the bug-tracking system public? (So I can watch for a fix and ask my sysadmin to prioritize the rollout of whatever patch this bugfix will be rolled up into when released by MS?)
    I'm still curious; is there any way to tell when this bug might be fixed? My hunch is that my bug is low-priority, and that there might not be any point in waiting around for a fix.
    • Proposed as answer by p__v__s Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Is the bug-tracking system public? (So I can watch for a fix and ask my sysadmin to prioritize the rollout of whatever patch this bugfix will be rolled up into when released by MS?)
    I'm still curious; is there any way to tell when this bug might be fixed? My hunch is that my bug is low-priority, and that there might not be any point in waiting around for a fix.

Hi

During the beta we could but unfortunately after RTM for any product all we can do is keep a watch on the updates that are released.

We will post here when we see a related update.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:42 PM
  • This bug has been driving me nuts ever since I started using Windows 7.  I've deleted my entire Downloads folder by accident at least twice due to this. 

I can replicate the problem easily by doing the following:

1. In the navigator pane, expand down to the Downloads folder (for the current user, through the root drive).

2. Click on the Downloads folder in the navigator pane in order to display its contents in the right-hand pane.

3. Select Detail View.

4. Click on a file. (That file should have focus now.  If you hit the delete key, that file will be deleted.)

5. In the navigator pane, click on any other folder outside of the Downloads folder. (right-hand pane now displays the other folder's contents)

6. Click the "Back" button.

[b]At this point, you will notice that you are back in the Downloads folder, and both the Downloads folder in the navigator pane, and the file you had previously selected in the right-hand pane will seem to have focus.  What happens when you hit "delete" now?[/b]

7. Hit the delete key. You will be prompted to delete the folder that has focus in the nav pane, as opposed to the file that has focus in the right-hand pane.

I would so appreciate this to be fixed, post-haste!

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:34 AM