none
Identifying resource allocations to manually level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to manually level resource overallocations using MS Project 2010 Standard.  What I'd like to be able to do is to click the little red person icon and have it tell me which tasks overlap that are causing the overallocation.  I don't believe this is possible so what I've been doing instead is using the Gantt chart.  I'll scroll to the date that the overallocation is occuring on, expand all tasks trees in the task list and then scroll up and down in the Gantt chart looking for tasks that I can see over lap.  

This doesn't seem like the best way to be leveling tasks if I am going to do it manually.  I can't automatically level tasks as I need to monitor all task completion dates closely.  Is there a way to click some alternate 'Task Information' box and have it show, 'Resources overallocated due to work on tasks 123, 654'?

I'm finding that this graphical method is both ineffecient and ineffective.  I can't find some overallocations.

Thanks 

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:53 PM

Answers

• Jason,

Here are few techniques to identify and remove resource overallocatios usign Project 2010.

After performing the steps that I provided you earlier in order to view overallocated resources and its tasks by creating a Resource Usage view and Bar rollup view, follow the steps below:

1. Goto the Resource Usage view.filter by overallocated resources. Expand all the resources. Add the following columns: Assignment Unit, Max Unit, Peak, Work Contour, %Work complete, Actual Work and Work. Click on specific resource name whose overallocation you want to remove manually.

2. Goto the Bar rollup view at the bottom, insert field named Type on the right of Task name field.

3. In  Bar rollup view select the task which has overallocation. If you identify that the overallocation is not due to overlapping of tasks then goto Resource usage view, select the same task which has overallocation due to non-overlapping of task.

4. Compare value in Assignment unit field  of the task with Max unit field value of its resource . (Max unit value will be only displayed once at the resource level.)

a. If the Assignment unit value for the task is greater than Max unit value of its resource then the overallocation was due to  assignment unit> max unit of the resource to which the task was assigned. Reducing the assignment unit equal to max unit or less than max unit will remove overallocation.

b. If the Assignment unit value for the task is less than Max unit value of its resource then overallocation may have occured due to explictly defining Assignment units for a resource on specific date range which is less than Assignment unit.
    You can double-click on the resource name and in Resource information dialog box | General tab | check the resource availability . If you see a row with 'Available From' and 'Available To' Date fields with some dates and Units with say 25% , it indicates that the task to which the resource is assigned is scheduled within the date range where the resource availability is defined as 25%. To remove overallocation, you can  increase the Units greater than or equal to assignment units value in the Units field of Resource availability table under Resource Information dialog box.

c. If the Peak field value for the overallocated task is greater then Assignment unit value and the task type is fixed unit or fixed work than the timephased work on some specific day or days is greater than say 8 hrs which is by default using std calendar and default settings. Change the Work contour field value to Flat and it will remove overallocation. Duration of the task will increase by changing contour to Flat.
    (Note: Task Type is displayed in Type column in Bar Rollup View)

d. If the Peak field value for the overallocated task is greater then Assignment unit value and the task type is fixed duration than the timephased work on some specific day or days is greater than say  8 hrs which is by default using std calendar and default settings. Changing the Work contour value to Flat will not remove overallocation. It will increase work in case if % work complete is 0.
    AFAIK you will be able to remove overallocation by reducing the Work till the red man icon in Indicator column disappears. But this method of removing overallocation will change the timephased work to decimal values like 8.33 on monday, 8.33 on tuesday and so on.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jason2782012 Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:48 PM

All replies

• There are few options you can try to fix it manually :

1) Open Resource Usage View there in timephased sheet and filter for overallocated resource by applying filter, you can see which tasks are in overlapping fashion and making the resource work hours more than normal work hrs in a day (say if 8 hrs is default work hrs. and resource is working for 16 hrs in a day due to allocation on 2 tasks in parallel)

2) You can use graphical Team Planner view and move the tasks accordingly to set them to appropriate place by drag n drop to remove over-allocation manually. Refer - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2009/10/08/project-2010-introducing-the-team-planner.aspx

3) Right Click Red Iconed tasks to fix in Task Inspector which gives you option to reschedule work. Refer - http://epmsource.com/2010/05/11/three-ways-to-toggle-resource-over-allocation-indicators-in-project-2010/

Sapna S

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

AFAIK Team Planner view is not available in Project Standard

Greetings,

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Oops I was not aware of this:( as I never got to use Standard Version. Thanks Jan for noting this.

Sapna S

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hello Jason,

You may find the Resource Allocation view is helpful.  The Resource Allocation view shows the Resource Usage view in the upper pane and the Leveling Gantt chart in the lower pane.  If you select a resource in the Resource Usage pane, you'll see a Gantt view of the assigned tasks in the lower pane.

If you choose to use leveling through Project, the Leveling Gantt also shows the graphic for the tasks that have been leveled as well as seeing the "Leveling delay" field.

You'll find the Resource Allocation view listed under "More views".

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi Jason,

You can try the following workaround:

1. Goto Resource usage view.

2. Filter by Overallocated Resources(Do not expand the assignments for resources)

3. Goto View tab. click on Details checkbox in Split View section. From the Details pane drop down menu on the right select More Views. From More Views box select Bar Rollup view and click apply.

4. Click on a single overallocated Resource name from Resource usage view and move cursor in Bar rollup view and move down in the task list of the Bar rollup view till you see tasks with the red man icon in the Indicator column. 

5. Select any task which shows the red man icon in the Indicator column.  Then press Ctrl+Shift+F5. This will show the selected task bar in the right hand side chart view.

The advantage of the Bar rollup view is that it shows all the tasks which has overallocation in sorted way so that you can easily compare for e.g task id 123 start/finish with id 654 start/finish which are overlapping.

Note: Overallocation may be caused  due to several other reasons also. So tasks which are showing overallocation may not always be due to overlapping of tasks

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Thanks Roopkumar.  The procedure you suggested definitely simplifies the view when you're looking for an overallocation due to overlaping tasks.  In my case it looks like I have some overallocations that are not caused by an overlap.

I tried searching for alternate overallocation causes but I'm not having any luck.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks! 

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Jason,

Here are few techniques to identify and remove resource overallocatios usign Project 2010.

After performing the steps that I provided you earlier in order to view overallocated resources and its tasks by creating a Resource Usage view and Bar rollup view, follow the steps below:

1. Goto the Resource Usage view.filter by overallocated resources. Expand all the resources. Add the following columns: Assignment Unit, Max Unit, Peak, Work Contour, %Work complete, Actual Work and Work. Click on specific resource name whose overallocation you want to remove manually.

2. Goto the Bar rollup view at the bottom, insert field named Type on the right of Task name field.

3. In  Bar rollup view select the task which has overallocation. If you identify that the overallocation is not due to overlapping of tasks then goto Resource usage view, select the same task which has overallocation due to non-overlapping of task.

4. Compare value in Assignment unit field  of the task with Max unit field value of its resource . (Max unit value will be only displayed once at the resource level.)

a. If the Assignment unit value for the task is greater than Max unit value of its resource then the overallocation was due to  assignment unit> max unit of the resource to which the task was assigned. Reducing the assignment unit equal to max unit or less than max unit will remove overallocation.

b. If the Assignment unit value for the task is less than Max unit value of its resource then overallocation may have occured due to explictly defining Assignment units for a resource on specific date range which is less than Assignment unit.
    You can double-click on the resource name and in Resource information dialog box | General tab | check the resource availability . If you see a row with 'Available From' and 'Available To' Date fields with some dates and Units with say 25% , it indicates that the task to which the resource is assigned is scheduled within the date range where the resource availability is defined as 25%. To remove overallocation, you can  increase the Units greater than or equal to assignment units value in the Units field of Resource availability table under Resource Information dialog box.

c. If the Peak field value for the overallocated task is greater then Assignment unit value and the task type is fixed unit or fixed work than the timephased work on some specific day or days is greater than say 8 hrs which is by default using std calendar and default settings. Change the Work contour field value to Flat and it will remove overallocation. Duration of the task will increase by changing contour to Flat.
    (Note: Task Type is displayed in Type column in Bar Rollup View)

d. If the Peak field value for the overallocated task is greater then Assignment unit value and the task type is fixed duration than the timephased work on some specific day or days is greater than say  8 hrs which is by default using std calendar and default settings. Changing the Work contour value to Flat will not remove overallocation. It will increase work in case if % work complete is 0.
    AFAIK you will be able to remove overallocation by reducing the Work till the red man icon in Indicator column disappears. But this method of removing overallocation will change the timephased work to decimal values like 8.33 on monday, 8.33 on tuesday and so on.

I hope this works.

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jason2782012 Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:48 PM