Shard Distribution Point- Error 2391 in the message log RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured a 2007 Source hierarchy with distribution point sharing enabled.  I have successfully been able to migrate content from the source Hierarchy but looking at the SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER component status log I am seeing lots of Error 2391 messages:

Distribution manager failed to connect to the distribution point ["Display=\\sourcesite.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=S01"]\\sourcesite.com\. Check your network and firewall settings.

I verified that the RPC ports are open between both sites.  What Else could be causing this error?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Matt,  I wasn't migrating\upgrading the distribution point just yet.  I was just migrating content.  That DP that I was getting this error is also the cm07 site server.  Migrating content was working just fine but I was receiving the error mentioned above about every hour in the log.  I have since disabled distribution point sharing because I was also getting random hash errors and even though the content was already migrated and distributed to new DPs in the cm12 environment, the clients were still trying to pull the content from the cm07 shared dps.  I still don't understand the reason for the hash errors and why task sequences were trying to pull content from the shared DPs when the packages were already redeployed to the new DP's.  All that I know is that disabling distribution point sharing made those errors go away.
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Misha,

What is in the distmgr.log on the CM12 site?  I have seen this occur because of WMI connection errors during the migration, specifically because IIS6 WMI compatibility role feature is not installed.

Also, check the user credentials used for the DP migration, if it was done using a user account.

Cheers,

Matt

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Also have a look at this article if your source hierarchy is using branch distribution points

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2013/05/14/upgrading-distribution-points-from-sccm-2007-to-configmgr-2012-error-0x800706ba/

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Hello Matt,  I wasn't migrating\upgrading the distribution point just yet.  I was just migrating content.  That DP that I was getting this error is also the cm07 site server.  Migrating content was working just fine but I was receiving the error mentioned above about every hour in the log.  I have since disabled distribution point sharing because I was also getting random hash errors and even though the content was already migrated and distributed to new DPs in the cm12 environment, the clients were still trying to pull the content from the cm07 shared dps.  I still don't understand the reason for the hash errors and why task sequences were trying to pull content from the shared DPs when the packages were already redeployed to the new DP's.  All that I know is that disabling distribution point sharing made those errors go away.
    • Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hey 

I know I am late, but did you figure out why this issue is happening. Because i am having the same problem when i install my Dp's.

Thanks

Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:22 PM
  • I think it was firewall related on our end.  It was a while back, but I think our errors went away once we disabled DP sharing.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:58 PM