How to Remove Hibernate Status from a UnBootable System RRS feed

• Question

• A Dell Latitude D610 notebook was hibernated successfully and failed to later restart. A forensic image of the drive indicated that there were a significant number of failed sectors. . The drive was forensically imaged, then the image was restored to a fresh drive. The fresh drive was then processed by the disk structure check utility (Drive F>Properties>Tools>Error Checking) on a Windows 7 host.

NTFS problems were detected and corrected. The drive was then rechecked without error. It was then reinstalled in the Latitude and the system fails to restart. An attempt was made to reduce the partition size (from 175GB to 100GB) using gparted fails with an error message indicating that the drive is hibernated.

Since the drive will not boot, how can one clear the Hibernate status?

The installation disk displays the "Setup is checking configuration" message, clears the screen, and appears to freeze. Therefore there is no way to access Recovery Console.

Thoughts appreciated.

- Bob
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:17 PM

All replies

• VeganFanatic, With all due respect, I did not say that this was a compensated "forensic services" project. Rather, I said "a forensic image of a non-bootable disk was done". There is a difference. In this particular case, since the system is completely non-bootable, INCLUDING WITH THE RECOVERY CD-ROM, there appears to be no way to do a backup of the drive using normal Windows BACKUP, which leaves forensic-level tools as the only option. After much research, I did discover that the NTFS support included with the most recent version of GPARTED does include an option to clear the hibernate flags, thus allowing the partitions to be manipulated. I also discovered that there appear to be some unusual restrictions on the contents of the partition table with XP SP2, in that a disk partitioned using GPARTED seems to end up non-bootable in certain cases, and even a FIXMBR does not correct the problem (FIXMBR keeps claiming that the partition table is non-standard, re-writes the MBR, and then still complains about the same problem. - Bob
    - Bob
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:39 PM