Looking for insight about power options in TS. RRS feed

• Question

• I was setting up the Power Scheme to High during State Restore, just to speed things along.
    Now I have a files given to me which modify the Power settings a bit...when to turn off display, what to do when the lid closes, then to turn off HDD, etc.

These settings get changed by the HIGH Power Scheme. Likewise, making changes to other power settings in turn sets my scheme back to Basic.

I'm looking for a way to be able to set the Scheme to HIGH, make my other power setting changes and then at the end set the scheme back to Basic. One seems to outdo the other.

Monday, April 9, 2018 6:37 PM

Answers

• No. If you want to modify what it does, you will need to import your own power plan and then set it as the current plan.

I always set High Performance during imaging. Along the way I have the classroom scheme imported (well that's just in my TS for classrooms), but I don't actually set that plan until the very end. Near the end of the TS I set my custom plan instead of Balanced which I normally do for all other deployments.

Daniel Vega

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:51 PM
  • I have it sorted out now. What was happening was...I was changing the Scheme to HIGH after I was applying the preferred settings. At the very end, I am applying those settings now.

Now, during State Restore, the scheme is HIGH (and who cares about when things turn off)...then at the end, in the bat file, along with the powercfg settings, I have -setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e which also sets the scheme.
    Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:51 PM

All replies

• One way you can do that is to use a script.

Here's a section of a script I use on a specific set of computers. This just copies the power settings file I previously exported to the local machine and then imports it.

' Import power scheme and activate it
    Wscript.Echo " Importing power plan "
    oFSO.CopyFile oUtility.ScriptDir & "\classrooms.pow", sSysDrive & "\users\administrator\desktop\", True
    oShell.Run("powercfg -import " & sSysDrive & "\users\administrator\desktop\classrooms.pow 46e978a0-b295-4925-886f-5443f6b0880c"),0,True

Once it's imported you can create a task in your sequence to enable that power plan

Your GUID will be unique, use this guide Create a Custom Power Plan

Daniel Vega

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:50 PM
  • Thanks. I may skip this role since it seems many models have different ID's and keeping up with them all seems daunting. If there exists some script that would use a wildcard kind of thing I could apply it to all Dells. Having different scripts for different models is something I don't want to get stuck to. We have easily over 20 different models of Dells...so we might be disabling those checkboxes by hand just yet.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:38 PM
  • There's nothing in here that is model specific, unless you mean you all have different power plans for different models. In the example above I apply that power plan to classroom computers, no matter what model they are.

If you only want it to apply to Dell computers then set a condition and use the MAKE variable.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:37 PM
  • I'm with you on that. What I ran into was first, using a command line in my TS, setting the Power Scheme as HIGH...then at the end setting it to Balanced.

Now I'm given a bat file to run which sets some preferences...what to do when the lid closes, when to turn off HDD....but that sets my scheme to balanced when I just set it to HIGH.

I guess I need to ask this. If I run a batch file to set preferences, such as when to turn off display, then later in my TS change the Scheme to Balanced, would it still hold the other preferences I just made? Would it then show Balanced, but retain my preference of when to turn things off?

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:42 PM
  • No. If you want to modify what it does, you will need to import your own power plan and then set it as the current plan.

I always set High Performance during imaging. Along the way I have the classroom scheme imported (well that's just in my TS for classrooms), but I don't actually set that plan until the very end. Near the end of the TS I set my custom plan instead of Balanced which I normally do for all other deployments.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:51 PM
  • I have it sorted out now. What was happening was...I was changing the Scheme to HIGH after I was applying the preferred settings. At the very end, I am applying those settings now.

Now, during State Restore, the scheme is HIGH (and who cares about when things turn off)...then at the end, in the bat file, along with the powercfg settings, I have -setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e which also sets the scheme.
    Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:51 PM