Search functionality should search the documents by only its Name, not the content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I search for particular document name in SharePoint then it displays multiple results. I think, search functionality will search document content as well. I need search functionality only should search the documents by its Name, not the content. How can I set this functionality. I am on MOSS 2007.

Any solution approach to this. Experts can you answer

Thanks,

-Gautham

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Gautham,

Sorry that didn't work for you. I'm not certain at this point what would be causing your issue. Make sure that if your search string has any spaces in it that it is enclosed with quotation marks.

Also, what type of files are the documents that you are searching for? Not sure if it makes a difference in your case, but while the SharePoint search service comes with support for searching a large number of different file types, I know that PDFs require an additional iFilter installation on your search server before their content will be crawled (though they may show up on some search results).

You should be able to search against Title as well many of the properties in the Metadata Property Mappings defined in your search administration (though not all of them, apparently).  It was from those Metadata Property Mappings (also called Managed Properties or Metadata Properties) that I learned I could also search for Filename, FileExtension, Author, Created, LastModifiedTime, and AssignedTo.  I can even search IsDocument:1 to return only documents and IsDocument:0 to return only non-documents.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:12 PM

All replies

• Guys,

Any help on this. Appreciate your reply!

-Gautham

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:38 PM
  • You can search for a specific field in the search box.  For example, a search of:

Title:"example title"
    ...would return all items that have their Title field set to example title.  This only works for certain fields, including Title, Author, and Filename
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Hi Thriggle,

Thanks for reply. How would I do this. I mean select title field and type keyword. please help?

-Gautham

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:06 PM
  • You can use the same box that you normally use to enter your search parameters.

Here's an example...

If I search for "Permissions" I get 10752 results, as seen in the screenshot below. This is pulling back all documents and list items that have the word "Permissions" anywhere in their name or content.

If I only wanted results that have the word "Permissions" in their name and not in their content, I can prefix my search with "Title:" like so:

Notice that now I have only 76 results. Much better!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Hi Thriggle,

Thanks for reply.In my case, it is returning only for few documents. the other documents once i append Title: string infront then search results is ZERO. Any idea? It seems this is not working for all documents may be as I tested for 10 different docs that are not working. My search crawl happens every 15 mins. Any idea whey it is like this?

Is there any other approach apart from this. Appreciate it

-Gautham

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Hi Gautham,

Sorry that didn't work for you. I'm not certain at this point what would be causing your issue. Make sure that if your search string has any spaces in it that it is enclosed with quotation marks.

Also, what type of files are the documents that you are searching for? Not sure if it makes a difference in your case, but while the SharePoint search service comes with support for searching a large number of different file types, I know that PDFs require an additional iFilter installation on your search server before their content will be crawled (though they may show up on some search results).

You should be able to search against Title as well many of the properties in the Metadata Property Mappings defined in your search administration (though not all of them, apparently).  It was from those Metadata Property Mappings (also called Managed Properties or Metadata Properties) that I learned I could also search for Filename, FileExtension, Author, Created, LastModifiedTime, and AssignedTo.  I can even search IsDocument:1 to return only documents and IsDocument:0 to return only non-documents.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:12 PM