trouble going back to windows vista from windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have now for 2-3 weeks run windows 7 Enter Price (90-day license) on my HP pavilion dv b6740eo, but have trouble going back to windows vista home Prenium.

On my HP Pavilion dv 6740eo was the vista home Prenium preinnstaled when I bought it. It did not come with own vista instalasjonsdvd, but it was a separate recovery partition on the hard disk to be used to reset to factory condition. In addition I burned out 2 dvds that could be used independend of this partition if the partition was corrupted

I have taken several image with Norton Ghost 14.0 when I had vista  and saved it on an external hard drive.

I downloaded Windows 7 Center Price (90-day license), burned it to dvd and instalerte it on your laptop. It went just fine and has since worked just fine for 3 weeks. Took system image with Windows 7 and stored it in a  hard drive and burned out system recovery cd.

Would like to continue with Windows 7, but it will cost more than it tastes, so I tried to go back to a previous ghost image of vista. This was very problematic and had problems with booting. Got error message that  nyinstaled hardware or sowtware could cause it. I also got error message in Norton Ghost that the target drive and sourtsch drive was invalid.

Also tried to set it back to factory condition with HP's tools, but this failed too. It stopped half way in this operation and could not perform.
    The solution was that I deleted all the partitions on the hard disk and then used ghost 14.0 to install a previous vista image on unallacoted space. This went fine, but after some updates and after the service Pack1 failed 2 times, and (3 time it was put on hold), and after a single update (about 4.9 mb) I finally got the same error again message that this is caused by nyinated hardware or software.

Finaly I used my windows 7 recovery cd and it burned back a windows 7 Enterprice image, and now i have windows 7 again.

What can be the cause of these problems and what do I need to go back to vista when lisencperioden of 90 days expires. When vista worked flawlessly before I instaled windows 7 so it must be some windows 7 do with my computer, or it can of course be a hardware problems that windows 7 tackles but that vista does not, but it sounds a bit unlikely, bacause i had now problem  with vista before all this.

Hope someone can help me with this.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:20 AM

Answers

• Can you let us know the detail error you got first?

According to your description, the recovery partition on the hard drive should be removed already, if you want to restore the computer to the original factory setting, it’s better to contact the HP support to ask them to send a Recovery DVD to you.

Of course, you can determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly press f11 during the startup. The computer will display a prompt to either recover the operating system or create a set of recovery discs if the Recovery Manager is operational which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc.

If the HP Recovery Manager is not operational, please refer to the following link to get a recovery DVD.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&softwareitem=ob-68874-1&os=2093&product=3653436

Please test if you can recover the computer with the HP recovery DVD.

I hope this can help you!

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:58 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:45 AM

All replies

• Can you let us know the detail error you got first?

According to your description, the recovery partition on the hard drive should be removed already, if you want to restore the computer to the original factory setting, it’s better to contact the HP support to ask them to send a Recovery DVD to you.

Of course, you can determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly press f11 during the startup. The computer will display a prompt to either recover the operating system or create a set of recovery discs if the Recovery Manager is operational which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc.

If the HP Recovery Manager is not operational, please refer to the following link to get a recovery DVD.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&softwareitem=ob-68874-1&os=2093&product=3653436

Please test if you can recover the computer with the HP recovery DVD.

I hope this can help you!

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:58 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:45 AM
  • Thanks to derosnec and John.  I tried using ghost again and i suksesfully recovered a image from another eksternal drive. The problem i exsperiened first was  probebly related to some problem with my another eksternal drive. i descovered that this drive somtimes dropt out, because of some hardware or software problem.(I'm just know using windows to cheking the filsystem and sectors for problem. )

I think that my problem with servic  pack 1 was not related to the first problem I had. This time I downloaded service pack 1 and 2 stand-alones, and the instalation went fine. I.m not sure what is casing the trouble with the HP recovery, bacause i used 2 hp recovery dvd's that supost to work independend of the recovery partition on the drive, but I dont need it for time beeing.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

If you perormed a clean installation of Windows 7 at the first time, the HP Recovery Manager tool should be removed during the installation. 

At this point, since the Vista works fine now, you have no need to care the recovery image. If you have new issue in Vista, you can open a new Vista thread. If prefer to use the Windows 7, it's better to buy an upgrade version from Microsoft, or inquire HP if they can offer you a discount for the Windows 7.

john

Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:08 AM