Weird PST issue..files and folder structure has changed. RRS feed

• Question

• So i moved a user over to a new domain and setup their office 365 account. I attached their archive PST file to the outlook client. So the user logs in and notices that the file and folder structure is completely different from before. 

So then i relogged them back to the old domain profile and voila the same archive pst folder is back to what it used to be. 

Made a back up of that archive pst file and then went back to the new domain. 

Sure enough the archive pst looked different. From there I bring the back of the PST and attach it to the outlook client. 

But now when original PST is attached it looks like the new domain PST. 

Now i can't get back that old original PST. Anybody got any advice on this?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By "attach the PST file", do you mean open the PST file or import the PST file?

>>So the user logs in and notices that the file and folder structure is completely different from before.

How was the file and folder structure completely different? Is it the file/folder order that is different? Is there any file/folder missing when viewing in the new domain?

Could you provide a screenshot about the difference so that we can understand the issue more clearly?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:40 AM
  • The user had an archive pst file stored on the network.

It was attached as a data file on the old domain trust. 

The folder structure was different with different folder names. 

When we put the user on the new domain and reattached the archive pst all of a sudden the PST changed. It had folders that i've never seen before. 

Now under the new domain the archive pst has completely changed to this different version and I can't get the old one back. 

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

How did the PST file look like if we open it in a Outlook on a non-domain-joined computer?

Is there a backup copy of the original PST file?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:33 AM