Dual Monitor Support for Windows 10 Remote Desktop App RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be or are there settings in the Microsoft Remote Desktop App that supports viewing dual monitors?

Kyle Hardaway

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:00 PM

Answers

• Do you if or when this will be a feature in the App? This is what I'm needing, not the RDP connection.

Thanks

Kyle Hardaway

+1 on this. The Windows Store app will allow you to stretch the remote desktop screen across multiple monitors, but it not the same as the "Use all my monitors" option in mstsc.exe. And when you do it i find that the screen becomes more blurry the larger you go.

I also don't like the way the that mstsc.exe takes over all three of my monitors when "Use all my monitors" is on. I only want the remote session on two of the three screens.

• Marked as answer by Kyle Hardaway Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:18 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:13 PM

All replies

• There should be an option "Use all my monitors for the remote session" 

If you can't find such option on your side, please check if you have limit the maximum number of monitors per session through Group Policy\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Romote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment\Limit number of monitors.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:42 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

You could enable Remote Desktop Multimon feature via one of the three methods described below:

a. Click “Use all monitors for the remote session” in the client (mstsc.exe) window.

b. Use the “/multimon” switch on the mstsc.exe command line.

c. Add “Use Multimon:i:1” to the RDP file.

The Remote Desktop Multimon feature provides an option to restrict the number of monitors a user can use to connect. By default, RDP protocol supports a maximum of 16 monitors. This number can be restricted to any value between 1 and 16 using either of below methods.

1. Using the “Limit maximum number of monitors per session” setting in the Remote Desktop Configuration Tool (tsconfig.msc)
    2. Setting the “Limit maximum number of monitors” machine group policy:

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Romote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment\Limit number of monitors.

Hope this clarifies and please mark useful reply as Answer.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

PleaseMark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 4:05 AM
  • There should be an option "Use all my monitors for the remote session" 

If you can't find such option on your side, please check if you have limit the maximum number of monitors per session through Group Policy\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Romote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment\Limit number of monitors.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

This only works for mstsc.exe (Remote Desktop Connection), not the Windows 10 Store App called "Remote Desktop"
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:39 PM
  • No. I'm not referring to the RDP connection. I'm referring to the Remote Desktop App that is downloaded from the Microsoft Store. When I click on the settings, there are no options to include a second monitor.

Kyle Hardaway

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Do you if or when this will be a feature in the App? This is what I'm needing, not the RDP connection.

Thanks

Kyle Hardaway

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:49 PM

Thanks

Kyle Hardaway

+1 on this. The Windows Store app will allow you to stretch the remote desktop screen across multiple monitors, but it not the same as the "Use all my monitors" option in mstsc.exe. And when you do it i find that the screen becomes more blurry the larger you go.

I also don't like the way the that mstsc.exe takes over all three of my monitors when "Use all my monitors" is on. I only want the remote session on two of the three screens.

• Marked as answer by Kyle Hardaway Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:18 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:13 PM
  • +1 on this as well. Come on Microsoft, you can do this for the Mac Version, why can't you do this for the Windows version.
    Yes, we know that you have the Native Remote Desktop Application which comes with Windows, but we use the RD app from the store because it has an interface that saves all our Remote PCs.
    You can do better. we believe in you. (THUMBS UP)
    Sunday, February 16, 2020 5:42 PM
  • +1 on this! Again, we are talking about the Windows Store App, not the RDP connection. 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 2:05 PM
  • I had the same issue with RDP taking up 3 monitors.  I found if you save the RDP, open the save in Notepad, you can add/edit the selectedmonitors setting to get it to show on the 2 monitors you specify.

screen mode id:i:2
    use multimon:i:1
    selectedmonitors:s:0,1
    desktopwidth:i:4096
    desktopheight:i:2160

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:06 PM