none
Roaming Profile and Folder Redirection (Windows 2008 R2 Standard DC/Windows 2012 file Server)

Question

• Hello

We have recently changed our file server (windows 2003) to window 2012. Our DC is Windows 2008 R2 standard.

We migrated all the data including User roaming profiles and user desktop data to Windows server 2012 and then copied folder redirection policy with new name. Delink old policy and point new policy to new server and changed profile path manually for all users. So it points to new server.

However next day when user logged in. Users were not getting roaming profile instead temp profile was getting created and their desktop was not getting redirected.

We checked the GP result. Folder redirection was in pending state. Sensing trouble from users we again enable old folder redirection policy to old server and forced gpupdate and disabled new policy and changed profile path manually for all users back to old server which is window 2003.  Our day was saved and things were back to normal.

Few days later we started noticing randomly users’ desktop was getting disappeared and user was not able to save any file further.

In further drill down we found that affected users/desktop registry is pointing to new server.  So for few users we fix the issue by replacing file server name ïn the below path.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders”

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders”

Now we have started facing new issue. When a new user is created and its profile path is set to old server. User is still getting temp profile and folder redirection policy of new file server is getting applied.

Changing name of the server in registry is resulting for desktop data loss.  Sensing sooner or later we are getting into the trouble.

My question here is if we delete new folder profile. Will it have on impact new users we created?

Need your advice and help in creating roaming profile and folder redirection profile from scratch using windows 2008 r2 Standard DC and window 2012 file server to host roaming profiles and folder redirection user data.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Siddhpal Patel

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Siddhpal Patel,

Thanks for posting. Would you please run a  GPresult html file and we can check how the group policy configured and what group policy applied?

Also I'd like to confirm with you wether you want to use the new 2012 server or the old 2003 server as the actual file server? If you want to use the new file server, you don't have to create a new folder redirection group policy, you can just change the redirection folder path to the new file server on the original folder redirection group policy. Make sure you selected the 'Move contents of My Documents to the new location' checkbox. r

For the roamining profiles please make sure the user has the correct permissions.

Below I provide you a link, you may check them for some reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649079.aspx

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 09, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Hello Elaine,

Thanks for your reply.

We want to use new 2012 server as the host of profile and user folder redirection desktop data. We did the same thing in the weekend. copied profile and user folder to new location in window 2012 using backup exe to have permission of folder intact and redirected the path to new location. Hoping that by start of the week everything will be in place . unfortunately as user started login. We started getting complain that they do not see any data on the desktop. After examining few PC we notice that users getting temp profile.

To avoid helpdesk getting fill with call we immediately moved back folder redirection & profile to old server(which is 2003)  and force gpupdate to get the thing in right place. Issue now we are facing is when new users is created roaming profile is not being created but I wonder folder redirection working fine.

We have more then 150 user desktops. In a week we got complain from 3 users that they do not have data in desktop. Looked around the folder redirect result. folder redirect is set to correct location. Looking at registry we noticed that server name has changed automatically. Changing the name in the registry resulted for data loss in old and new location.

Forgot the mention we have win7 sp1 pc and window 2008 DC.

I did refer to the link provide and followed steps but no luck. I am now thinking to create share with different names and try it out.

Regards

Siddhpal Patel

Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:17 PM
  • Hi Siddhpal,

Is it working when you create the share with different names?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Hello Elaine

Still no luck.

I am getting folder redirected perfectly. Only problem is roaming profile. When ever user log in temp.domain profile is being created and I do not see any folder in share folder.  Earlier I was getting Access denied issue with win7 Desktop. Now that has disappear.

Below are my share folders details:

UsersProfiles Folder – Share with everyone Full Control

Type

Principal

Access

Inherited From

Applies To

Allow

Creator Owner

Full Control

None

SubFolders and Files Only

Allow

System

Full Control

None

This Folder, SubFolders and Files

Allow

Domain Users

Special

None

Allow

Adminnstrators

(Server\Administrators)

Full Control

None

Allow

Users(Server\Users)

Special

None

This Folder Only

Allow

Folder Redirect group

Special

None

This Folder Only

Added folder redirect group after reading MS blog.

UserData Folder Shared with Everyone Full Control

Type

Principal

Access

Inherited From

Applies To

Allow

Creator Owner

Full Control

None

SubFolders and Files Only

Allow

System

Full Control

None

Allow

Domain Users

Special

None

Allow

Adminnstrators

(Server\Administrators)

Full Control

None

Allow

Users(Server\Users)

Special

None

This Folder Only

Allow

Users(Server\Users)

Special

None

When users logs in I get folder created in userdata folder share. But same is not being replicated to UsersProfiles.

I added domain user while troubleshooting issue.

My problem is I can not go and create folder for user in usersprofiles share as I have 150 users whom data and profile I have to this new location.

My environment is:

DC : Windows 2008 R2 Standard

File Server (To Host profile and redirect folder) : window 2012

Desktops : win7 Pro SP1.

Desperately need solution as we need to decommission windows 2003 server which is hosting roaming profile currently.

Thanks & Regards

Siddhpal Patel 

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:25 PM