Is that possible to expand taskbar groups without showing applications titles? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I really like new win7 taskbar with large icons and grouping.

But sometimes when I use application with groups in task bar I'd like to expand that group to make switching between application windows faster than moving mouse over taskbar, then wait until popup window appears, then guess which thumbnail I need, then move mouse and make click. It is very annoying when you extensively use some application and you need to switch many times.

On the other hand I know that it is possible to ungroup items using Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window and choosing "Never combine" or "Combine when taskbar is full" options. It does the job but it also shows window titles in taskbar (XP style).

I like new Windows7 taskbar and just want to ungroup applications preserving "icon only" style. Is that possible? If yes than how to do that?

I will be appreciate for any help.

Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• "...but it is not very comfortable to put arm on keyboard while I intensively use mouse."

From your above statement, I assume that you use mouse more than you use the keyboard for regular navigation. While I did not find anything natively built into Windows that could help you, I did find this nifty little 3rd party utility that lets you switch between open windows using the mouse scroll.

I found this quite interesting, unfortunately I could not try it because I'm on a laptop (no mouse). See if this works for you:
    http://www.ntwind.com/software/vistaswitcher.html

Quoting from there, it says: "Also, you can switch between open windows with only the mouse. No keyboard shortcuts required! Just hold your right mouse button down and scroll the wheel up or down to select the window you want."

Please let me know if this helps or we'll figure out something else. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba
    • Marked as answer by cheburek Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:16 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• If you need to fast switch between applications, then using the keyboard shortcuts will get you there faster than any mouse gesture.

You can use: Windows Key + Tab to rotate from one application to another and so on. This will continue in a cycle. If you miss selecting an application while cycling, you can press Windows Key + Shift + Tab to cycle in the reverse order.

OR

You can use the classic Alt + Tab combination. If you keep the Alt key pressed, then you can cycle among the applications using the Tab key. If you like two switch among two applications, press Alt + Tab and release the keys, you can switch back and forth between any two applications faster than any other way possible.

Here's a complete list of Windows Keyboard shortcuts for your reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

Here's an article on how to manage multiple windows:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Manage-multiple-windows

Please revert back here if this does not help or you wanted something else in specific which this post does not address. Hope it helps!

• Edited by Server Baba Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:26 AM added article2
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Hot keys are very useful when you do not use many applications at the same time. Ideal is 2 apps, maybe 3. In this case you have to press maximum 2 times to access any window. But when you use 5-6 applications in not specified order that it could be a pain to find required window using alt-tab. In this case much faster to click with your mouse on taskbar where icons lication are not changing (thank you God). In this case you don't need to verify with your eyes content of each window, just click on icon.

For me is very useful Win+<Number> combination but it is not very comfortable to put arm on keyboard while I intensively use mouse.

Also it would be nice to see some kind of separators on a taskbar to separate different kinds of applications between each other.

So question is still remains open.

Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:54 PM
  • "...but it is not very comfortable to put arm on keyboard while I intensively use mouse."

From your above statement, I assume that you use mouse more than you use the keyboard for regular navigation. While I did not find anything natively built into Windows that could help you, I did find this nifty little 3rd party utility that lets you switch between open windows using the mouse scroll.

I found this quite interesting, unfortunately I could not try it because I'm on a laptop (no mouse). See if this works for you:
    http://www.ntwind.com/software/vistaswitcher.html

Quoting from there, it says: "Also, you can switch between open windows with only the mouse. No keyboard shortcuts required! Just hold your right mouse button down and scroll the wheel up or down to select the window you want."

Please let me know if this helps or we'll figure out something else. Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by cheburek Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:16 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:10 PM
  • ... I assume that you use mouse more than you use the keyboard for regular navigation.

Sometimes yes. Actually my left hand is always on a keyboard but right one might not. I develop a website and when it launch in VS I must sometimes recheck some feature in several web browsers. And after those verification sometimes I don't know how to find VS window using alt-tab easily.

While I did not find anything natively built into Windows that could help you...

Looks like an answer to my question :)

I did find this nifty little 3rd party utility that lets you switch between open windows using the mouse scroll.

Thanks a lot! Looks very handy and I already like its alt+` hot key. I'll try it!

Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Google 7 Taskbar Tweaker. Use the cnet download.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Very sweet little application, I've been looking for something like it for a while, thanks.

This also might be helpful, it seems some of these types of options are available without addons.. just gotta go find them.. (not hard, just right click and properties).

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/

• Edited by ideaman0007 Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:15 PM