Separate MGMT & Streaming server for APP-V 4.6 en 5 packages? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

In our environment we foresee having APP-V 4.6 SP2 en APP-V 5.0 SP1 packaging.

I'm tasked with deploying an APP-V Streaming and management server.

Can a APP-V 5.0 SP1 Streaming & mgmt server also stream 4.6 SP2 packages or do I need to deploy an APP-V 4.6 SP2 streaming & mgmt server?

I've already deployed the APP-V 5 server, but the ADD Packages action from the webconsole doesn't allow me to import .osd files. It only allows .appv files apparently.

Thanks!

Filip

Monday, July 22, 2013 10:00 AM

Answers

• Though they have the same name, APp-V 4 and 5 have basically nothing in common: They both use completely different implementations (well... of similar concepts).

If you want to deploy App-V 4 packages with the 'native infrastructure', you need an App-V 4 Management Server for the v4 pacakges and an App-V 5 Publshing/Management/Streaming Server for the v5 pacakges.

You cannot install App-V 4 and 5 Servers on the same machine (but you can install different App-V 5 services on a single box).

Note that an App-V 4.6 SP2 and 5.0 client can be installed on a client machine (Desktop or RemoteDesktopServer) at the same time, so each of them can excute 'its' packages.

Also note that a 'native infrastructure' is not the only deployment model: you can use MSI based deployments (standalone or with any software distribution) ConfigManager integrated deployments or other methods.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Monday, July 22, 2013 12:04 PM