none
AD Connect sync users without proxyaddress RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

Is it possible to sync users to office 365 without proxyaddresses atribute and without email address? We are starting new company with 20 user and those users will be synced from on premises to office 365 tenant. In the active directory I created those users but they don't have entry in email address and nothing in proxyaddresses attribute. I heard that proxyaddresses attribute must be populated in some cases but I don't know when. Can someone please help

Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, of course. You can sync users to Office 365 but if your proxyaddresses field is empty then when you sync user to office 365 and when you assign license to that user the primary e-mail address will be @onmicrosoft.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:22 PM
  • When you run hybrid deployment all changes need to be made on-premises. One example how you can add it beased on UPN:

$searchbase = "path"
    $properties = 'userprincipalname', 'proxyaddresses'
    Get-ADUser -filter * -SearchBase $searchbase -Properties $properties |

ForEach{

Set-ADUser $_ -add @{proxyAddresses="SMTP:"+ $_.GivenName + '.' + $_.Surname +"@domain.com"

}}
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by kaktak Monday, July 22, 2019 12:25 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, of course. You can sync users to Office 365 but if your proxyaddresses field is empty then when you sync user to office 365 and when you assign license to that user the primary e-mail address will be @onmicrosoft.com

Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hi kaktak, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Thank you so much for the answer guys. Is there a way to populate proxyaddress for all users? I want that they have E-mail address same as their UPN? Can this be changed after sync? I tried to modify this on one user but I run into error. Another solution could be to delete all in offoxe 365 and start again.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 6:34 AM
  • When you run hybrid deployment all changes need to be made on-premises. One example how you can add it beased on UPN:

$searchbase = "path"
    $properties = 'userprincipalname', 'proxyaddresses'
    Get-ADUser -filter * -SearchBase $searchbase -Properties $properties |

ForEach{

Set-ADUser $_ -add @{proxyAddresses="SMTP:"+ $_.GivenName + '.' + $_.Surname +"@domain.com"

}}

• Marked as answer by kaktak Monday, July 22, 2019 12:25 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 9:58 AM