Outlook 2016 search results RRS feed

• Question

• i have one person who has a ton of email in their deleted folder. he is searching for a specific word, search results only return up to 3 weeks. however, without using the search word, he can the message hes looking for by scrolling all the way through the deleted mail folder. why is it only showing back 3 weeks when using a search word ???

exchange server 2016 15.1.544.27

outlook 2016 16.0.4639.1000

Thx

Steven J Einhorn

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, April 2, 2018 8:11 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Friday, March 30, 2018 2:33 PM

Answers

• So just delete the OST and then enter outlook again to rebuild the OST. Just tell him that search may not work well until the indexing is finished. 

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 5:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 5:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 7:36 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 5:28 PM
  • yes it's normal, outlook has to downlod 11gb of data again

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 7:38 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

Delete the OST file and let it rebuild overnight. Check how to delete the OST here https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/recreate-ost-file-outlook-55cd83bb

Then reopen Outlook, it will recreate it and start indexing again. Wait for the indexing to finish and then try to search again.

Regards

Simon

• Edited by Simon.Rech Friday, March 30, 2018 5:02 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 5:02 PM
  • overnight ???

Steven J Einhorn

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:14 PM
  • If the user has a very big mailbox then it could take several hours for Outlook to index the content.

Regards

Simon

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:17 PM
  • i see,,well, this is the Director, top dog here, may be difficult to do this during hours, he is also here till like 630pm ! but, if he wants it wants it fixed .....11 gig mailbox.

Thx

Steven J Einhorn

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:21 PM
  • So just delete the OST and then enter outlook again to rebuild the OST. Just tell him that search may not work well until the indexing is finished. 

Regards

Simon

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 5:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 5:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 7:36 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 5:28 PM
  • he knows what has to be done...i started it, but i renamed his ost so i had a copy !!! good thing i did,,because none of his mail was there we restarted outlook,,,,is that normal ?? i put it back the way it was until he has time...all mail there now

Steven J Einhorn

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:57 PM
  • Thank you for your help !

Steven J Einhorn

Friday, March 30, 2018 7:36 PM
  • yes it's normal, outlook has to downlod 11gb of data again

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, March 30, 2018 7:38 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 7:37 PM