none
How to capture vendor correspondence in MS Project 2010 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Expert !!

I have a trouble capturing interaction with vendors which involves following tasks:

1) Preparation of equipment details

2) Sending it to vendors (2 or more)

3) Receiving their technical details of equipment

4)  Evaluating the technical details

5) Finally forwarding it to Business Development Group for commercial negotiation

The problem is: I have 500 such equipment and putting all these tasks for every equipment will lead to extra 

managing time/man power and a MS Project sheet of 2500 lines/tasks.

Can you suggest something on how to manage the above 5 tasks for all the 500 equipment.??

TKP86

Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:16 PM

All replies

• If it is necessary to schedule and track all of the detail within your project, I don't know if any method of handling it other than step by step.  
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:03 PM
  • tkp86,

To add to Julie's reply, steps 2, 3 and 5 sound like milestones, (i.e. zero duration), while only steps 1 and 4 are actual tasks (i.e. require effort). And if you don't need to actually track this level of detail, many users find the Notes field is well suited for this purpose.

One other thought about your concern for the potential of a large file. Do any of the 500 pieces of equipment have common attributes such that you could make a shared set of the steps and thus reduce the overall detail bulk?

John

Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Indeed MS Project must not be used as a check-list, for example to manage 500 equipments delivery. As John said, I suggest to organize equipments in batches with some criterion for major milestones.

In addition, you can use a excel file or sharepoint list to manage your equipment list in a product backlog.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Thanks Julie, Rouyre & John

As per your advice, I opted to go for an excel sheet rather than tracking all 500 items in MS project 2010.

Thanks Again !!!

TKP86

Monday, December 30, 2013 7:44 PM
  • TKP86,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:33 PM