none
Issue Installing DPM 2012R2 UR2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues installing the DPM 2012 R2 UR2 re-release and I wanted to share my experience.  When I first attempted to install the update last week, it failed.  Shame on me, I didn't make a backup of the DPM database before the upgrade and DPM would not start after the attempted update install (DPM service wouldn't start.)  Long story short, after about a day of troubleshooting, I gave up, did a complete reinstall and was able to retrieve a somewhat recent version of the database from tape.  I restored, synched that database and was back in business, but hadn't attempted the UR2 update again. 

Fast-forward to today.  Unfortunately, our server was set to automatically install updates, so the UR2 update tried to install itself last night.  It failed, and the same problem occurred...DPM wouldn't start.  This time, however, I found a blog from a couple years ago mentioning very similar behavior to what I was experiencing (though not after an update).  In their case, the SQL database had somehow gotten switched to Single User mode.  On a whim I checked our database and indeed it was set to "Single User" mode.  I changed it to Multi-User and everything came back normally.  I'm sure this was the case in my first upgrade attempt, but I never caught it.

I'm posting this in case anyone else happens to run into this issue.   I have no idea why the database mode changed, but changing the database mode to Multi-User saved me a ton of time.  Here's a link where I got the information: http://www.sherr.co.uk/dpm-2012-fails-with-event-id-7034-the-dpm-service-has-terminated-unexpectedly-it-has-done-this-x-times/

Still need to do the UR2 update but obviously I'm gun shy.

Friday, May 30, 2014 7:34 PM

All replies