none
Can Hyper-V 2012 enable Powershell management of VMs on a 2008 R2 machine?

Question

• I have a large number of VMs, all hosted on W2K8 R2 SP1, that I would like to migrate to new W2K12 host machines.  Is it possible to manage the 2008 VMs with the Powershell cmdlets available on the 2012 servers?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:31 PM

Answers

• It is not.

You can install the unofficial module for 2008 R2 on those servers and use its cmdlets via PowerShell Remoting: http://pshyperv.codeplex.com/.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by cvonseggern Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:22 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:45 PM

All replies

• It is not.

You can install the unofficial module for 2008 R2 on those servers and use its cmdlets via PowerShell Remoting: http://pshyperv.codeplex.com/.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by cvonseggern Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:22 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Well, that's unfortunate, but thanks for your help.  This at least tells me what I need to do to move forward.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:24 PM
  • I would recommend you spend your efforts upgrading your 2008 R2 Hyper-V hosts to 2012 R2 (or 2016) rather than using the unsupported codeplex modules.  Not only are they unsupported, some of the cmdlets defined in those modules are the same as the cmdlets used by Hyper-V.  So if you install the codeplex modules on the same machine you use for managing 2012 Hyper-V, you will have to very careful not to end up with the wrong cmdlet.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Well, the problem is that those hosts are aging and are out of warranty... so it makes much more sense to get off of them than to just upgrade them.  If we trusted them to last through this year without hardware failures, I wouldn't have to do this in the first place.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:56 PM