Best Practice for Overriding IIS Monitors on Exchange Clusters? RRS feed

• Question

• As we all know, when you have clustered Exchange servers and the IIS MP installed, you get a lot of useless alerts about websites, app pools, and virtual servers being unavailable.  What would be the best way to override these IIS alerts that show up on passive Exchange cluster nodes?  Some of the more prevalent ones are:

- A Windows Internet Information Service Web Site is Unavailable.
    - A Windows Internet Information Service Application Pool is Unavailable.
    - A Windows Internet Information Service SMTP Virtual Server is Unavailable.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:21 PM

Answers

• The Exchange 2003, and 2007 management packs all monitor the states of IISAdmin, W3svc, and SMTPsvc as required for the roles.  So basically you would disable the IIS monitor and let the Exchange monitoring handle your service state.

To be dynamic on Exchange 2007 R2 you could do the following:
    Create a group of computers that contains the type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, then disable the IIS monitors for that group.  This will get all the physical nodes of your clusters and all the virtual servers as well.  The down side of this approach is if you have Exchange 2007 Management tools installed on a Windows Server Operating System then it will have a discovery helper and so be disabled.  This could be a problem if you had an IIS server that had Exchange tools installed to support a third application (like Operations Manager Console with Exchange Tools).  If you wanted to keep the IIS in addition to the Exchange ones you could create a second group of computers that contains the types Exchange 2007 Mailbox, Unified Messaging, and Client Access.  Create an enforced override for the second group to enable the IIS service monitors. 

In the Exchange 2003, and Exchange 2007 converted MP there really isn't a way to dynamically identify the Clustered network names that are not Exchange servers.  Probably the way to handle this would be to create a discovery similar to the Discovery Helper that would populate a group of Exchange virtual servers and physical nodes of cluster and disable IIS monitors for that group.  

• Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:21 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Layner,

What I always do is to create a group which contains all my cluster nodes and I do overrides on that group to disable the monitors you mentioned.

In that way they are still enabled for the virtual servers.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Thank you Francois.  When I only override the physical cluster nodes I still get many alerts from virtual servers, namely from the passive virtual servers where all the websites, app pools, etc. are stopped.  Then again, if I include both the physical nodes and the virtual servers, I'll never get any alerts even if they go down on the active nodes.

Is there a dynamic way to override passive cluster nodes?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:08 PM

• The Exchange 2003, and 2007 management packs all monitor the states of IISAdmin, W3svc, and SMTPsvc as required for the roles.  So basically you would disable the IIS monitor and let the Exchange monitoring handle your service state.

To be dynamic on Exchange 2007 R2 you could do the following:
    Create a group of computers that contains the type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, then disable the IIS monitors for that group.  This will get all the physical nodes of your clusters and all the virtual servers as well.  The down side of this approach is if you have Exchange 2007 Management tools installed on a Windows Server Operating System then it will have a discovery helper and so be disabled.  This could be a problem if you had an IIS server that had Exchange tools installed to support a third application (like Operations Manager Console with Exchange Tools).  If you wanted to keep the IIS in addition to the Exchange ones you could create a second group of computers that contains the types Exchange 2007 Mailbox, Unified Messaging, and Client Access.  Create an enforced override for the second group to enable the IIS service monitors. 

In the Exchange 2003, and Exchange 2007 converted MP there really isn't a way to dynamically identify the Clustered network names that are not Exchange servers.  Probably the way to handle this would be to create a discovery similar to the Discovery Helper that would populate a group of Exchange virtual servers and physical nodes of cluster and disable IIS monitors for that group.  

• Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:21 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:35 PM