none
DPM 2010 and DSL Backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am turning to the community since we need some input from people that may have some experience with incremental backups over DSL/VPN based WAN connections using DPM.

We are using DPM for about one year with different customers and are pretty satisfied with it. Now we are trying to find a way to make remote backups over DSL/VPN as we do with Acronis for years, but so far without any success.

With Acronis we are simply using FTP to do incremental external backups once the initial backup has been done on premise. The stuff being backed up externally does not include any system state data or the like, but comprises of the actually important user data that can not be recovered otherwise. Since Acronis is producing individual incremental files, it is rather easy to shift them out over WAN. But we basically want to use DPM all the way if we somehow can.

Thus we are not looking at any OS related stuff, but only at the constantly changing user data that should be send out once a night over the existing DSL line, which usually is ether ADSL or slim SDSL.

I am not going into all the things we already tried, because none of them worked and discussing that is probably not worth the time, but I am rather looking for some input from people that do have something like it running successfully. On the other hand a clear cut statement that it can not be done (including a short explanation, if possible) would also be appreciated, as it would set an end to our endeavors so we can concentrate on other solutions.

However, I want to mention the last thing we did try. This was disk to disk to tape using filestreamer, as we thought to then have individual files on the “tapes” that can easily be transferred out, but apparently we are only able to make full backups to a tape target but no incremental backups.

Any input, ideas and hints are very much appreciated.

RalfDK

Sunday, February 26, 2012 12:33 PM

Answers

• Just for my understanding...

What you want to do is protect Server X that is on another location in a domain (let's say office X) to a DPM server in office Y.  Is this correct?

If that is correct, then yes, it should be possible.

As long as you have 512kbps between the two sites you should be fine.

The initial replica is the problem point.  It could be that you need to work with the creation of a manual replica to get it up and running.  After that, you can consider the WAN connection the same as you would have in a LAN environment.

A few things you need to know:

* Look at your synchronization points / timings.  Sometimes, it is not possible to synchronize or take a full express too often because then the connecion is not fast enough to do its thing within the timing BEFORE the next backup

* Server X need to be able to connect to the DPM server so DNS settings, Wins etc.. should be all working well

* Make sure all the ports are open, certainly NETBIOS seems to be a killer in many of these scenario's (blocked at VPN level or firewall or ...)

Just my 2 cents

Brgds,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm

• Marked as answer by RalfDK Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Ralf,

I know this is old but I will try to help anyhow. Using DPM over DSL/ADSL will be hard to do. I will assume you have already tried on the wire compression and that did not work well enough for you. You may want to look at some sort of WAN optimization application. I know RiverBed has a solution that allows you to place an appliance on one end and on clients there is an application that can run to do the optimization. You may want to look into that further.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, October 7, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Just for my understanding...

What you want to do is protect Server X that is on another location in a domain (let's say office X) to a DPM server in office Y.  Is this correct?

If that is correct, then yes, it should be possible.

As long as you have 512kbps between the two sites you should be fine.

The initial replica is the problem point.  It could be that you need to work with the creation of a manual replica to get it up and running.  After that, you can consider the WAN connection the same as you would have in a LAN environment.

A few things you need to know:

* Look at your synchronization points / timings.  Sometimes, it is not possible to synchronize or take a full express too often because then the connecion is not fast enough to do its thing within the timing BEFORE the next backup

* Server X need to be able to connect to the DPM server so DNS settings, Wins etc.. should be all working well

* Make sure all the ports are open, certainly NETBIOS seems to be a killer in many of these scenario's (blocked at VPN level or firewall or ...)

Just my 2 cents

Brgds,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm

• Marked as answer by RalfDK Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:42 AM
  • For Mu personal Experience:DPM2DPM 4 DR works fine , as Steve mentioned , enable wire compression that help a lot for the data that can be compressed such ad SQL, VMs, etc....

Now I don't understand what didn't work ? can you give some details

Islam Gomaa Microsoft MVP | System Center Data Protection Manager email: Islam @ Islam Gomaa.com Blog: http://owsug.ca/blogs/IslamGomaa Website: www.islamGomaa.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:55 AM
  • I wanted to let everybody know, that it infact works fine with compression through an ADSL based VPN for about a year now.
    We set up a second (Domain joined) DPM (off location) backing up those parts from the first DPM (on location) we are interested in.

Intital replica was done at customer site.

Unfortunately the new licensing (cost) for System Center 2012 turned DPM 2012 into a No-Go for most of our customers and so we will revert back to other products. But where we have DPM 2010 running we are very, very happy - great product!

Thanks to Mike, Buchatech and Islam!!

Brgds, RalfDK

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:41 PM