Set FireFox as Default Browser-GPO RRS feed

• Question

• We have online Staff & Student Software that only will work properly using Fire Fox.  After visiting with the companies, they have no intentions of changing from Fire Fox to IE because of all the continuing issues with IE.

Anyhow, how would we go about using GPO to set the District Computers default browser to Fire Fox?

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:59 PM

Answers

• FireFox is a Mozilla product and has no native support for group policy settings. You might try using an extension from Mozilla to see if you can manage these settings https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gpo-for-firefox/ 

If I answered your question, please Click "Mark as Answer". If you found my post helpful, feel free to Vote as helpful on the left. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by CFSD6 Sunday, July 19, 2015 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:29 PM

All replies

• FireFox is a Mozilla product and has no native support for group policy settings. You might try using an extension from Mozilla to see if you can manage these settings https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gpo-for-firefox/ 

If I answered your question, please Click "Mark as Answer". If you found my post helpful, feel free to Vote as helpful on the left. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by CFSD6 Sunday, July 19, 2015 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Wow, what an absolute B.S. answer.  Microsoft controls the GPO facility, and could easily allow administrators to set the default browser to X, for users or system-wide default, etc.  Implying that Firefox must somehow natively support GPOs is nonsense.

However, Microsoft has a long history of forcing people into using Microsoft products whenever possible, and making it extremely difficult or impossible to do otherwise.  Hence, an entire cottage industry of workarounds and hacks for those who simply want to be able to control their own systems.

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:54 PM