W8 RSAT Server Manager showing wrong capacity!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I connect from my W8 workstation to Hyper-V Server 2012 remotely and apparently Server Manager shows the wrong capacity in Gibibyte (by factor 10), but the right one in Byte!?

Is this a bug? Any suggestions?

L.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:21 PM

All replies

• Is the volume capacity displayed correctly locally on Windows Server 2012? Is the drive RAIDed?

Honestly, I tried but I cannot find the "Volume (C:\) Properties" window as the picture you posted in Server Manager on Windows Server 2012. Can you please explain.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Cheers!

These snaps are from another W8 machine with RSAT connecting to a Windows Server 2012 Core server.

You can see how I came up with the properties dialogue (context menu).

Here you can see furthermore that other capacity views are also wrongly calculating.

All classical tools I tried list disk / volume / partition capacities correctly (diskpart.exe, diskmgmt.msc, dir).

I suspect this issue arises due to our corporate policy using ISO Standard formats on English (US) locale:

L.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:47 PM
  • By switching to en-GB locale, I think I can confirm this to be an issue due to custom regional settings.

Where can I file a bug report?

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Using Windows 8.1 to connect to a Windows 2012 R2 server, this issue doesn't appear anymore!

I should close this thread as "answered", but since there has never been any answer, e. g. by those who fixed this bug, I leave it open, hoping that anybody responsible reads it and in future we'll get proper answers! Like this hypothetical answer:

"Hi! We checked the source code and indeed there was a bug. It will be addressed by one of the next Windows Updates."

I think this hypothetical answer, including checking the source, would have cost a quarter developer-hour the maximum!

L.

Locale dependent incorrect display of volume capacity fixed in Windows 6.3...

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:53 PM