none
[Bug] - Process Icon Display Bug in v16.31 RRS feed

• General discussion

• It seems like some icons are being randomly replaced in Process Explorer v16.31 by icons from other processes.

See the screenshots below - these are taken within a 2-3 minute period.  Note the icons for MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe. This isn't isolated to only MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe - for example, it's also happening to a bunch of VMware Workstation processes, Firefox, etc.

I'm not sure what's triggering it, but if I had to guess, I would imagine it's some sort of indexing/enumeration bug, and as new processes are being spawned or dying, they are triggering the changes.

Update: looks like I was on the right track - a new process spawning is what triggers this bug to be manifested.  Whenever a new process is spawned, it causes the icon of all processes after about PID 25000-28000 in the ProcExp list to immediately change to the icon of the just-launched process. And as soon as the next new process spawns, the icon change repeats.

I'm currently on Win 10 x64 v1909 (18362.592)

Cheers,

Tom

• Edited by hey_tommy Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:08 AM
    Saturday, February 8, 2020 6:01 AM

All replies

• Never noticed something like that..

Are you on the latest version of Process Explorer? 16.30?

In this case I'm running on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.1012]

Which really is Windows Server 2019..

Never seen something like that and I live with ProceXp open on my machines..

Try taking a dump of Process explorer when that happens and send it to MarkC at syssite@microsfot.com

HTH
    -mario

Saturday, February 8, 2020 10:44 AM
  • As stated in the thread title, I'm running v16.31 (which is the latest version at present, and was updated on 2019.12.18).

(Edit: Added ProcExp version to message body for clarity)

Also, after doing some sleuthing, it looks like I was on the right track re: trigger condition - a new process spawning is what causes this bug to be manifested.  Whenever a new process is spawned, it causes the icons of all processes after about PID 25000-28000 in the ProcExp list to immediately change to the icon of the just-launched process. And as soon as the next new process spawns, the icon change repeats.

See the new screenshot below (sorted by PID) and make note of the PIDs. In this case, I had just launched a new instance of cmd.exe, so all the icons below an approximate threshold changed to that of cmd.exe (all the way down to the last PID of 66128).

And thanks for the tip! I will get in touch with Mark C. as you suggested.

Cheers,

Tom

• Edited by hey_tommy Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:15 AM
    Sunday, February 9, 2020 6:07 AM
  • The same thing is happening to me. Some processes in the list assume the icon of the most recently started process. It's affecting a number of processes with high 5-digit and 6-digit 1xxxxx IDs but I've noticed it happen on some 3-digit ID processes as well. It is probably arbitrary. Currently there are 174 processes running and about half of them exhibit the bug.

Example: I started IrfanView then I started Chrome. After some time the icons revert back to the default icon, as seen in the first pane.

Process Explorer 16.31 buggy icons

Windows 7 x64 Jan 2020. Process Explorer 16.31 x64.

The bug does not appear after restarting Process Explorer.

When it's fixed if someone could please update the thread and let everyone know. Thanks

17 hours 21 minutes ago