none
IE file download disable exception. RRS feed

• Question

• For IT security reason, we have disallowed IE to do file download from internet websites in our Remote Desktop environment.  

Some of our users they need to download legit files when they access websites such as FedEx.  

Is there a way to setup exceptions?

Please advise.  

Thanks.
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi EdKC,

I'd like to know how you can disallow IE to download files.
    If you do it with some software (system), consult its vendor.
    Sunday, April 30, 2017 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

add the domains of the sites that you need to allow downloads from to the Trusted Sites list...eg. *.fedex.com... by default downloads from sites in the Trusted zone are enabled  by default... For TechNet and MSDN download access you need to add both *.Microsoft.com and *.live.com.

For additional security you could turn on the default "Protected Mode" setting for the Trusted sites zone...

Regards. (o ki do ki) o ^_^

Rob^_^

Sunday, April 30, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Hi, 

If you use Internet option to configure security setting to disable File download, I have to say that we have no way to make exception. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:49 AM
  • I go to User Configuration>Policies>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer>Internet Control Panel>Security Page>Site to Zone Assignment List, click ENABLE, and enter https://www.fedex.com/* with a value of 3. 

I still see the message "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". 

I then test enabling "Allow file downloads" under User Configuration>Policies>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer>Internet Control Panel>Security Page>internet zone entirely, this time, I do not see the message "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be download" being pop up.  However, when I click a download link in Fedex which is supposed to  download an excel file and show the option to OPEN, SAVE, I do not see that.  I only see a blank page instead. 
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:27 PM