WSUS support for Hyper-V Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, WSUS tries to push an update to the Hyper-V Server that is not applicable:

"Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.566.0)"

Installing updates...

Listing of updates installed and individual installation results:

1> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.566.0): Failed

Installation Result: Failed
    Restart Required:  False

Presumably Hyper-V Server does not come with Windows Defender.

Otherwise, the updates are mostly for "Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems" and they will install.

Hyper-V Server 2016 reports as "Windows (Version 10.0)" in WSUS.

Can somebody confirm this?

Perhaps there is an update for WSUS (running 6.3.9600.18324) that I have missed?

• Edited by PKersey Friday, October 28, 2016 1:39 PM typo
    Friday, October 28, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, Windows Defender is installed and functional on Windows Server 2016 by default.

In addition, I am able to open Windows Defender on my Windows Server 2016 test VM, please do the same to check the current definition version, if it’s above 1.231.566.0, then I’d expect that the installation would fail as the KB contains a previous version.

Here is a screenshot below for you:

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PKersey Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:48 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, Windows Defender is installed and functional on Windows Server 2016 by default.

In addition, I am able to open Windows Defender on my Windows Server 2016 test VM, please do the same to check the current definition version, if it’s above 1.231.566.0, then I’d expect that the installation would fail as the KB contains a previous version.

Here is a screenshot below for you:

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PKersey Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:48 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Thanks for hinting at the version number of the update. I tried again once a newer update was available.

It looks like it resolved itself. I don’t know why. It has probably to do with the definition version numbers.

I can confirm that Windows Defender is there, though I cannot see the GUI on Hyper-V Server and I don’t know how to check the virus/malware definition version number:

C:\>sc query windefend

SERVICE_NAME: windefend
            TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

C:\>

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Search for for (A)ll updates or (R)ecommended updates only? a

Searching for all applicable updates...

List of applicable items on the machine:

1> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.890.0)

Select an option:
    (A)ll updates, (N)o updates or (S)elect a single update? a

Downloading updates...

Installing updates...

Listing of updates installed and individual installation results:

1> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.890.0): Succeeded

Installation Result: Succeeded
    Restart Required:  False

Press return to continue...

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested on Hyper-V Server 2016, and we can find out the virus definition version information via PowerShell cmdlet

Get-MpComputerStatus

More information for you:

Get-MpComputerStatus

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn433289.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:33 AM