What speeds are you seeing in stsadm import and exports? RRS feed

• Question

• Situation:

I am currently working on project where I am moving a site collection from one web application to another. This site collection is currently in a shared database with other site collections and I will be moving it to another database. 

Question:

This site collection is about 100GB in size. My export and import is taking about 8-10 hours each to complete. I am just wanting feedback from others if this seems to be normal or do I have some bottleneck in the environment. I have heard a good average is about 12GB per hour but wasn't sure if that is what everyone else is seeing. 

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 20, 2011 5:44 AM Feedback & Comments removed from Title - not a problem description
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi KBES,

Traditional backup technologies consume more time in backup/restore of SharePoint databases (i.e. 15 GB per hour).SharePoint native backup is well suited for small to medium organizations.

Based on my research, someone did a  test with 15GB site collections, here are the metrics:

·         15GB stsadm backup < 1 hour

·         15GB stsadm restore =  1 hour

·         15GB stsadm delete site collection = 19 minutes

Whereas, the metric above is for your reference. It doesn’t mean that you have performance issue. Since everyone has different hardware, network and other specific configuration.

For more information about Site Collection Sizing and restore performance, please refer to the following articles:

Tips on Site Collection Sizing

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2007/01/31/tips-on-site-collection-sizing.aspx

Scaling Out for Multiple Site Collections

http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com/2011/01/scaling-out-for-multiple-site.html

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by KBES Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:51 PM
    • Edited by Rock Wang– MSFT Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:40 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi KBES,

I can suggest you an alternative way of doing this that may help you out with much lower amount of time.

1. First of all take a backup of the content database in which the site is present.

2. Then de-attach it from the farm.

3. Restore it again with path set to other web app.

4. If you want to do this for only one site collection, you may delete other sites from this database.

5.Now you can reattach your database backup taken in step 1 to your source web application.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Hi KBES,

Traditional backup technologies consume more time in backup/restore of SharePoint databases (i.e. 15 GB per hour).SharePoint native backup is well suited for small to medium organizations.

Based on my research, someone did a  test with 15GB site collections, here are the metrics:

·         15GB stsadm backup < 1 hour

·         15GB stsadm restore =  1 hour

·         15GB stsadm delete site collection = 19 minutes

Whereas, the metric above is for your reference. It doesn’t mean that you have performance issue. Since everyone has different hardware, network and other specific configuration.

For more information about Site Collection Sizing and restore performance, please refer to the following articles:

Tips on Site Collection Sizing

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2007/01/31/tips-on-site-collection-sizing.aspx

Scaling Out for Multiple Site Collections

http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com/2011/01/scaling-out-for-multiple-site.html

Thanks,

Rock Wang

• Marked as answer by KBES Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:51 PM
    • Edited by Rock Wang– MSFT Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:40 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Hi KBES,

I just want to say hi to know if our reply is helpful? If you have any questions, feel free to reply to the forum.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:58 AM