none
Consolidation of HUBCAS and MBX Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi GUys,

Our current setup is 2Xhubcase server 1XMBX server and all our user reside in O365

we wish to consolidate hubcas server and move it to MBX server.

what are the steps i should take before i do this.

i am currently auditing all routes and services which needs to be moved across but was hoping for better insight and any pitfall i should watch out for.

Monday, December 2, 2019 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The similar cases above which were provided by Udara are very helpful. Here I’d like to make a integration which you can take into consideration:

1. Install HUB role and CAS role on the target MBX server.

2. Check the settings of connectors of MBX server if they point to the old server. You can delete these custom connector or change to point to the new server as you want. 

3. Depend on your environment, if you have DNS records point to the old server, you may need to change them.

4. Use the following command to point all mailbox databases to the new CAS server, then restart Exchange information store service:

Set-MailboxDatabase <Database Name> -RpcClientAccessServer <CAS Server Name>

5. After all configuration are completed, you can shutdown the old servers for some days to verify if the MBX server works fine. 

Regards,

Vera Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:21 AM
  • hi guys

appreciate the response.

the above link provided is bit different to what i am planning to do.

we are planning to move 2 hubcas role to an existing MBX server which has the hubcase role already.

i will be adding client access role to MBX server.

so does the above scenario still works or will i need to tweak it.

• Edited by Andy_Nag_1 Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that you have both HUB and CAS role on your MBX server already? 

If yes, you needn’t install another one CAS role, you just need to check and migrate the configurations of the 2 old HUBCAS roles to the target server, such as default receive connectors, DNS records and database settings.

Get-ReceiveConnector -Server <server name> | fl

Get-MailboxDatabase -Identity <Database Name> | fl *Rpc*

You can refer to the points I mentioned above depending on your needs.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:18 AM
  • No i meant in the server i wish to migrate i already have HubTransport role and not Client Access role.

what about ActiveSync do i need to touch that as well in hybrid setup?

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:18 PM
  • Hi,

After installing client access role and modifying the configuration, you can try to shut down the 2 old servers for some days. Test if the multi-role server works fine.

You needn’t make changes on ActiveSync in hybrid setup, Exchange ActiveSync will find the mailbox location and update its configuration.

For more information about hybrid deployments, you can refer to Exchange Server hybrid deployments.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:57 AM