IE9 Extensions RRS feed

• Question

• When exporting a file from IE9 it saves it as the following example.txt,  but what is not showings is an additional format.  So it is really exporting exmaple.txt.(something else).  We were using IE8 before without problems, but now are getting these problesm becuase the directory where we are exporting this file to only excepts three letter extensions.  Is there a way I can make this happen in IE9 or would I have to use IE8 instead?

From Technet

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:11 PM

Answers

• something like this myexample.txt.c2232

Sounds like in IE8 you may have been using the Security option which disables download by file type not extension (currently in IE11 now known as MIME Sniffing).

You could use the Developer Tools, Network Capture tools and ProcMon to check this hypothesis.  E.g. capture and compare traces for both scenarios.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, June 9, 2014 1:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Start here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:32 PM
  • The link you provider brought me to a page on hidden files.  I already know how to do this.  The issue we are having is that in IE8 we would export some information from a web page and pull it off of a sertain server drive.  This drive is not ours and is only set up to accpet the extension .txt.  This worked fine in IE8, but with IE9 when exporting a file it is not just the name of the file followed by the .txt extension it is more.  It is displaying just the txt file, but after looking at the logs on the file it is not.  it something like this myexample.txt.c2232 or something like that.  I beleive this has to deal with tempory internet files becuase if I would save the file to my desktop then copy and paste it the drive location there is no issues.  I would keep doing this like that, but with the amount of work that the user does in a day it is not effiecient.  I would like it to be like in IE8 where I can click export in IE and save the file to the drive.

From Technet

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Is IE9 the difference or is the Windows version the difference? Speaking of which, what Windows version(s) are we dealing with here?

Does the behavior persist if you uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 9 via Installed Updates, reboot twice & don't install it (or IE10 or IE11) again?

Can you explain what "exporting some information [what information?] from a web page and pulling it off of a [certain] server drive" means?

To whom does this "certain server drive" belong and how do you access it?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

Did you mean that when you download a file from IE 9 and save it to a network drive as a .txt file

format, but the file is not saved as the way you want, right? It should show up as "example.txt",

but it is not, right? Maybe you can share some screenshots with us so we can better understand what

you described here\what the issue is.
    You can clear the IE temporary file\cache\download history and check if it make any differences.

Tools\Internet Options\General\Delete...
    And do you have full contro permissions for the network drive? Try to set the drive on line and

make sure you have full control permissions, then check if issue persists.
    Make sure you have installed all latest Cumulative Security Updates for IE, some users report that

they have issues when saving files to network drive, but these issues have been fixed in these

Security Updates.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:47 AM
  • We are using Windows 7.  I have unistalled IE9 and put it 8 back on the computer for now.  With IE9 and above when you export a file it is not just the simple filename.txt.  It is that plus additional information.  For example if I am exporting a file from IE8 to a drive named todd.txt.  It would export it as that.  Now with windows 9 and above when you export files like this it is going to be todd.txt, but it adds aditional information after the .txt.  With this being done is throwing some dos erros. The drive that we are trying to export to is owned by IBM and they have no plans on makeing changes to the system as of now. 

From Technet

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:45 PM
  • something like this myexample.txt.c2232

Sounds like in IE8 you may have been using the Security option which disables download by file type not extension (currently in IE11 now known as MIME Sniffing).

You could use the Developer Tools, Network Capture tools and ProcMon to check this hypothesis.  E.g. capture and compare traces for both scenarios.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, June 9, 2014 1:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:48 PM
    Answerer