Sequencing Services RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if Softgrid supports the sequencing of Windows Services and if so what are it's limitations?

Many thanks

Ian

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:22 AM

Answers

•  

Ian,

Great Question, when you talk about Windows Services what do you mean.

Couple of things to note,

SoftGrid can do application services that run when an application is launched, but any service that runs in the background all of the time would not work.  That is because SoftGrid applications run when they are launched and the softgrid software to support Virtual Environments starts after a user has logged on and not when windows starts.

Another problem is based on how sequencing and the virtual environment work you can't capture the identity information that is critical to most Services (ie Exchange, SQL, etc.)  So at this time those aren't supported and wouldn't work.

Hope this helps, but if my understanding of your Windows Services is wrong please correct me and I will work on my answer

Matt McDermott

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:47 AM

All replies

•  

Ian,

Great Question, when you talk about Windows Services what do you mean.

Couple of things to note,

SoftGrid can do application services that run when an application is launched, but any service that runs in the background all of the time would not work.  That is because SoftGrid applications run when they are launched and the softgrid software to support Virtual Environments starts after a user has logged on and not when windows starts.

Another problem is based on how sequencing and the virtual environment work you can't capture the identity information that is critical to most Services (ie Exchange, SQL, etc.)  So at this time those aren't supported and wouldn't work.

Hope this helps, but if my understanding of your Windows Services is wrong please correct me and I will work on my answer

Matt McDermott

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:47 AM
  • Thanks Matt

We were suspecting what your reply stated.  The windows service is true service running when the system is first booted similar to a Unix daemon.

We were testing Oracles ODP.NET driver.  Unfortunately, because of the transactional handling of Oracle, we required the MTS Services for Oracle to be running.

Back to the drawing board.

Regards

Ian

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:44 PM