none
Remote VPN Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Here's my question:

I search for documents in a database over a remote vpn. Works fine. I receive a result, a list of documents that meet my criteria. I can either export to my PC or open. If I try to export, I get a prompt asking where I would like to place the file. I select the place (my desktop) and the window hangs after about 10% on the progress bar. If I try to open the document, a window opens but hangs.

Is there any way to resolve this, is the problem on my end of the remote vpn?

I am using IE8. I am using a Microsoft Windows Essentials firewall. (I was using Norton before this, same issue. I have also tried “Display All Websites in Compability View” option in IE but no difference. The connection is via Cisco Any Connect and the tool I am using is Documentum.

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:11 PM

Answers

• "Name not found" messages seen to come up frequently when monitoring Internet Explorer while this problem is occurring.

You're looking at too fine a level too soon.  Turn off Registry and File access display, so you only have Process and thread and Network.  Use the Network events to find where your hang occurred.   If the last thing was something outbound I would say you're (probably) done.  E.g. it could be an indication that the host side is not responding to whatever that was.  If it was something inbound then you could turn on File access to see what happened to it.  Etc.  You should only go into the Registry events when you have some hypothesis in mind that you want to try to prove.  Note that I was really only thinking of you using ProcMon to supplement whatever the other trace tools uncovered.   So then I think you could even have a hypothesis in mind before even trying to use it at all.  It would be possible to use ProcMon to do it all but only if you can find in it what you want to see.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:14 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Hi,

Please also check if it works in No Add-ons Mode or by disabling Add-ons. In addition, you can try resetting Internet Explorer settings:

Reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/reset-internet-explorer-settings

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:02 AM

All replies

• is the problem on my end of the remote vpn?

You should trace it and find out.  If the problem happens in IE9 or IE10 too you could use their Developer Tools, Network Capture tool (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5).   IE8 does not have a built-in tracer but with it you could try using Fiddler2.   Fiddler is a proxy so it may not be a transparent trace but again if the symptom still occurs with it you would have a clue about where the hang is.   10% does not really give any accurate idea of what all might have happened, especially if the file has any size.  For a more complete, more transparent trace you could try NetMon or WireShark.   I don't know if VPN would have any useful trace for just its layer.  On the client side you could use ProcMon for clues about both Network and File system activity and how those correlate.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Robert. I'm not a technical person, just an end user, but I gave procmon a try.  "Name not found" messages seen to come up frequently when monitoring Internet Explorer while this problem is occurring. Couldn't make heads or tails of it all though. What appears to be happening I think is that a servlet is hanging (the url is displayed in the window that opens and a servlet is referenced). Do you know why a servlet would hang - is that a problem on my end?  Is there anything I can do about that, or a community where I could post this?  (Also, I don't have access to IE9 or IE10 so I couldn't try it there.)

Mike

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:07 PM
  • "Name not found" messages seen to come up frequently when monitoring Internet Explorer while this problem is occurring.

You're looking at too fine a level too soon.  Turn off Registry and File access display, so you only have Process and thread and Network.  Use the Network events to find where your hang occurred.   If the last thing was something outbound I would say you're (probably) done.  E.g. it could be an indication that the host side is not responding to whatever that was.  If it was something inbound then you could turn on File access to see what happened to it.  Etc.  You should only go into the Registry events when you have some hypothesis in mind that you want to try to prove.  Note that I was really only thinking of you using ProcMon to supplement whatever the other trace tools uncovered.   So then I think you could even have a hypothesis in mind before even trying to use it at all.  It would be possible to use ProcMon to do it all but only if you can find in it what you want to see.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:14 PM
    Answerer
  •  

Hi,

Please also check if it works in No Add-ons Mode or by disabling Add-ons. In addition, you can try resetting Internet Explorer settings:

Reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/reset-internet-explorer-settings

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:02 AM