SCOM data to third party software and vice versa RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SCOM development and I have a specific task I am trying to accomplish.  There is an existing SCOM 2007 system monitoring computers and network devices(routers) that I would like to share data from to a third party piece of software that we have written. Our software is written in java, so it is not possible to use the SDK as in some .NET examples of querying SCOM I have seen. We also need to insert some data tha we monitor for in our application into the SCOM system.

I am readin the "Unleashed" SCOM 2007 book and have been reading MS documentation, but I am at a little bit of a loss for what my options are. I would have thought that the SCOM server itself would expose a web service API for getting/inserting monitoring data to/from 3rd party applications, but apparently not that I have found.

Here are my options as I understand so far:

Create a connector(outbound) to shove information from SCOM to my application(assuming I build some web service or other API the connector can call).

I am not sure if I can build an INBOUND connector to handle incomding data from my application at all. Even if I could, since my app is Java and cannot use any SCOM SDK, I would have to somehow expose this INBOUND connector as a web service or somethign similar, would I not? In order to have any third party code insert data.

I am somewhat famliliar with Reporting Services, and I know that they expose reports via a webservice API, do they not?  Perhaps I could build a report that consistes of the data/alerts from SCOM I want and call that from my application? Of course, this does nothing to address pushing data from my application to SCOM for monitoring, only the reverse.

Am I missing something as far as options?  In general if I need to push data/alerts from a non .net application to SCOM and vice versa, what are my options, or what approaches have others used successfully for this scenario? Is it even possible? 

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:48 PM

Answers

• I need to amend what I said above with some better news, and direct you to this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437519.aspx).  I learn something new every day!

If you unmark an answer without a reason, it makes it difficult for anyone to follow-up with other suggestions.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, August 27, 2010 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, August 30, 2010 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:13 AM

All replies

• SCOM can forward alert data to a connected system, but cannot accept new monitoring data to be directly inserted from another system.  The Data Warehouse can be mined for whatever reason.  But we do not support inserting data directly into the DB/DW.

• Marked as answer by Jonathan Almquist Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by netcdr Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:39 AM
  • If you are using SCOM 2007 R2 you can use the Universal Connector that Jonathan refers to for outbound.
    Layne
    • Marked as answer by Jonathan Almquist Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by netcdr Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I need to amend what I said above with some better news, and direct you to this page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437519.aspx).  I learn something new every day!

If you unmark an answer without a reason, it makes it difficult for anyone to follow-up with other suggestions.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, August 27, 2010 9:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, August 30, 2010 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:13 AM