Migrating from 2007 to 2013 - shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• It seems we have a number of mailboxes that are individual user mailboxes that are set as shared mailboxes in 2007.

Am I right in saying that if we migrate these to 2013 we are going to have problems because in 2013 there is no logon/password any more for these?

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:48 PM

Answers

• Its also very common for some regular user mailboxes to be set as shared once they are migrated. Exchange sees them as shared even though they arent and you cant manage them completely.

The fix is easy though. For those cases,:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj710164%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Convert a Mailbox

Set-Mailbox MarketingDept1 -Type Regular

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by paulfoel Friday, November 27, 2015 9:48 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:24 PM
  • You can use full permissions to lognon to those mailboxes. No need to enable AD accounts.

Add-mailboxpermission -identity Mailboxname -user username -accessrights fullaccess -inheritancetype All 

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by paulfoel Friday, November 27, 2015 9:49 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:47 PM
  • These are normal users so AD account is definitely not disabled. Its just that their mailbox is set to shared.

Are you saying if we migrate then user will have no issues accessing it as a primary mailbox?

But yes I know it should probably be corrected and set back to standard mailbox. Is that all the setting to shared does - disable the AD account? If you create a new shared in 2013 it just doesnt create an AD account does it?

Now all I need is powershell command to list all shared mailboxes in 2007 to just included those with active users in AD? Anyone? :-)

I would set to regular if they need to managed as a regular mailbox and accessed interactively. 

To find:

get-mailbox -resultsize unlimited |? {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq "SharedMailbox"}

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by paulfoel Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:25 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:14 PM

All replies

• It seems we have a number of mailboxes that are individual user mailboxes that are set as shared mailboxes in 2007.

Am I right in saying that if we migrate these to 2013 we are going to have problems because in 2013 there is no logon/password any more for these?

You can still logon and access a "shared" mailbox that has been moved to 2013 if you are dong so now.

If you were to create a new shared mailbox in Exchange 2013, the implication is that no one will logon directly to it, yes, but that doesnt mean you absolutely can not. It would require enabling the AD account and setting a password for it.  But the idea, is that its just shared of course and permissions are delegated.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:58 PM

You can still logon and access a "shared" mailbox that has been moved to 2013 if you are dong so now.

If you were to create a new shared mailbox in Exchange 2013, the implication is that no one will logon directly to it, yes, but that doesnt mean you absolutely can not. It would require enabling the AD account and setting a password for it.  But the idea, is that its just shared of course and permissions are delegated.

We appear to have a lot of user mailboxes that are set as shared in 2007. A lot of these the AD accounts are disabled so no issues BUT I don't think all. ITs a bit of a mess to be honest.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Its also very common for some regular user mailboxes to be set as shared once they are migrated. Exchange sees them as shared even though they arent and you cant manage them completely.

The fix is easy though. For those cases,:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj710164%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Convert a Mailbox

Set-Mailbox MarketingDept1 -Type Regular

• Marked as answer by paulfoel Friday, November 27, 2015 9:48 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:24 PM
  • You can use full permissions to lognon to those mailboxes. No need to enable AD accounts.

Add-mailboxpermission -identity Mailboxname -user username -accessrights fullaccess -inheritancetype All 

PREM RANA

• Marked as answer by paulfoel Friday, November 27, 2015 9:49 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:47 PM

PREM RANA

That depends on how the end user wants to access the mailbox. If the AD account is disabled, then you wont be able to create a activesync profile for example. Or enable for UM etc...

If the access is only as a delegated user, then yes full mailbox access will alow for it.

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Friday, November 27, 2015 2:53 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:53 PM
  • These are normal users so AD account is definitely not disabled. Its just that their mailbox is set to shared.

Are you saying if we migrate then user will have no issues accessing it as a primary mailbox?

But yes I know it should probably be corrected and set back to standard mailbox. Is that all the setting to shared does - disable the AD account? If you create a new shared in 2013 it just doesnt create an AD account does it?

Now all I need is powershell command to list all shared mailboxes in 2007 to just included those with active users in AD? Anyone? :-)

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:49 AM

I would set to regular if they need to managed as a regular mailbox and accessed interactively. 

To find:

get-mailbox -resultsize unlimited |? {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq "SharedMailbox"}

• Marked as answer by paulfoel Wednesday, December 2, 2015 12:25 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:14 PM