Storage Space Allocation page will not display RRS feed

• Question

• To get the permissions question out of the way, I am farm admin and collection admin and my permissions have not changed since the last time I was able to perform this action.

Starting yesterday afternoon, in one specific collection, when I am in the Site Settings screen for the collection and I click on the "Storage space allocation" link, the web browser cranks and cranks, but cannot display the page. Up until yesterday afternoon, I had no problems reaching this page. Details:

• I've tried from two different systems (Win7 & XP) using two different browsers (IE9 & IE8) with the same results
    • There are no error messages, the page simply doesn't render. I've left it as long as 30 minutes and it won't render.
    • I can quickly and successfully reach the same page in all other collections in the application
    • The collection, at last viewing, was @ 24GB in size with a 30GB quota. It is set to send a warning when the quota goes over 25GB and no warning has been sent.
    • I checked the Recycle Bin, knowing there had been a lot of deletions in the collection yesterday, but it is not nearly full, has a few hundred items at most, and is performing normally.

Any suggestions for what may be preventing the page from displaying and/or what I can do to restore access to the page? This is the only collection affected.

FAW

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:47 PM

Answers

• Zoeb, Lhan Han & Rohan,

Thank you for the great comments and suggestions. I did not get a chance to put any of them into action as the issue has resolved itself as of this morning without additional action from me.  While good for getting work done, it's not so good since I'm still not sure what caused the problem in the first place.

• Lhan Han - I had not made any changes to the SharePoint environment prior to the page malfunction, no modifications had been made to the collection in question, and all other Storage Allocation display pages in the farm were working correctly, so my working presumption was that there was something wrong with the target collection that affected its quota. I had put in a request for an IIS reset (production environment, can't just restart) for after-hours tonight if other measures didin't correct the issue. Luckily, I won't need to do that.
    • Zoeb - Upping the quota limit was on my list for this AM, but won't be necessary.
    • Rohan - I agree that there was something, possibly a really large item that had been deleted, that was preventing access to the storage allocation reports. I didn't have a chance to look at different views, but will try that if it ever happens again.

I'm going to mark this resolved, and recommend that anyone else who encounters this problem should try your various solutions.

FAW

• Marked as answer by fweisser Monday, May 7, 2012 4:33 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• Try increasing the storage space aloocation by 5-10 GB and then try opening up the page.

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi fweisser,

From your above description, you said the issue is starting yesterday afternoon, do you did any changes before that? If no, i suggest you manually restart your IIS, and re-open the page. Else, if you had do some changes on it, you can try to recovery the changes, and find if it can works fine.

Thanks,
    Lhan Han

Friday, May 4, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Hello,

When "storage space allocation" loads, it actually calculates the number of items and size for each list/library according to the view.

So first of all, I suggest to check if you are able to open the page by modifying the URL to different views.

Also try to navigate through your site colelction to see any large list/library and try to reduce the content in it.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Rohan --Please mark as "Answer" if the post resolve your issue--

Friday, May 4, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Zoeb, Lhan Han & Rohan,

Thank you for the great comments and suggestions. I did not get a chance to put any of them into action as the issue has resolved itself as of this morning without additional action from me.  While good for getting work done, it's not so good since I'm still not sure what caused the problem in the first place.

• Lhan Han - I had not made any changes to the SharePoint environment prior to the page malfunction, no modifications had been made to the collection in question, and all other Storage Allocation display pages in the farm were working correctly, so my working presumption was that there was something wrong with the target collection that affected its quota. I had put in a request for an IIS reset (production environment, can't just restart) for after-hours tonight if other measures didin't correct the issue. Luckily, I won't need to do that.
    • Zoeb - Upping the quota limit was on my list for this AM, but won't be necessary.
    • Rohan - I agree that there was something, possibly a really large item that had been deleted, that was preventing access to the storage allocation reports. I didn't have a chance to look at different views, but will try that if it ever happens again.

I'm going to mark this resolved, and recommend that anyone else who encounters this problem should try your various solutions.

FAW

• Marked as answer by fweisser Monday, May 7, 2012 4:33 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 4:33 PM