none
UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have several machines that run Windows 10 and on those machines, UAC is constantly turning on. Our domain policy has UAC disabled and changing the setting in the registry (I've tried EnableLUA and also just turning off UAC all together) and after 12 hours or so, Windows will revert back. In my understanding, if you don't have UAC enabled on your domain, the machine should not be able to make changes that don't reflect that OR if I have UAC disabled on my DC, I should still be able to open the same applications that I do in Windows 7/8. Can someone from MS (or the forum) respond to this issue and any known work-arounds for it.

Thanks

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you domain policy disable the UAC, it of course cannot be changed on domain joined client.

Why your domain disable the UAC? User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that require administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect the security of your computer or can affect settings for other people that use the computer. We recommend that you leave UAC on to help make your computer secure.

If you disable UAC, you cannot open many more app in Windows 10. Thus I suggest you enable it from the DC.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:26 AM
  • I'm sorry I mis spoke ... rather than saying our Domain Controller disables the UAC, I should have said, our policy to manipulate UAC in any way is disabled. So our DC should have no affect on the UAC on users machines.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:42 PM
  • Not quite clear to me what this issue is. Can you tells us please;

What version of Windows 10, Pro etc and build.

What Group Policy setting is set, to what value.

What UAC setting you want, and what it changes to.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:58 PM
  • I'm sorry I mis spoke ... rather than saying our Domain Controller disables the UAC, I should have said, our policy to manipulate UAC in any way is disabled. So our DC should have no affect on the UAC on users machines.

So did you mean you didn't so any settings on domain side to disable the UAC?

And you cannot enable the UAC on the domain joined client computer, right?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:34 AM
  • We are using Windows 10 Pro. The group policy is not enabled on the server. We would like to be able to modify UAC from the pc side to at least the first or second setting. No matter how I modify it, after about 12 hours, it will revert back to a disabled state. 
    Friday, November 20, 2015 6:33 PM
  • We are using Windows 10 Pro. The group policy is not enabled on the server. We would like to be able to modify UAC from the pc side to at least the first or second setting. No matter how I modify it, after about 12 hours, it will revert back to a disabled state. 

It probably should be some task or policy.

Please check if you set any scheduled task to revert it. Also remove from one computer form domain to do test.

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:45 AM
  • To make this more of an issue, I have a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10 machine, both in the same domain and with the same UAC settings. I am able to launch any application (such as the calculator or Outlook or anything) but on the same domain with a Windows 10 machine, I am told that because UAC is disabled, there are applications that I can't launch. Is this a design change within Windows 10? If so, why is there no documentation on what I would consider "security restrictions" based on disabling UAC. To me, if you have 2 OS' with the same design, then you should be able to perform the same actions with no change in behaviour. 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:24 PM