BitLocker on External HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Urgent Help Needed!! I've recently had my netbook reimaged and preformed a back-up onto my external HDD, the HDD is a WD My Passport and is protected by 'BitLocker Drive Encryption' with the recovery key saved to the computer; which is ironically now on the encrypted drive. Its no longer giving my the option to enter a password, instead its giving me Get the key from a USB Flash Drive and Type the recovery key.

What should be appearing is the option to insert a password.

Is there any way to recover the data on the HDD? Some of it is very important to me personally and to my job application.

- Josh

Friday, January 30, 2015 9:01 AM

Answers

• Please do as suggested...

Execute the commands and publish the output here. The password will not be seen when entered, but it would work. The password is simply made invisible at the command line, that's all.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, February 9, 2015 2:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:24 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Hello Josh,

Please explain a bit about the following questions to avoid misunderstanding:
    1. What do you mean about reimage? Reinstall?
    2. After the reimage, you back up the system to the external HDD?
    3. And you move the recovery key to the HDD?
    4. Now, you only get the screen asking for Recovery key or key in USB flash?

Please check if we can normally type in the password when you use the external HDD in other computers.
    Use the command manage-bde –tpm -turnon to enable TPM and check if the issue still exists
    I wonder if you had error in encrypt the external HDD and abnormally unplug the HDD.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:45 AM

All replies

• Josh, first of all, you should not bring yourself to such a tight spot. Don't encrypt backups unless you know what you are doing. Never again deal with a single point of failure.

Please open an elevated command line and perform the commands

manage-bde status x: (x being the drive letter of the encrypted drive)

manage-bde -protectors -get x:

and publish the output here.

If a password protectors is still present, try

manage-bde -unlock x: -pw

[you will be asked to enter your password]

Sunday, February 1, 2015 1:05 PM
  • I get up to the part where it asks me to enter my password, but it won't allow me to type anything in
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:33 PM
  • Please do as suggested...

Execute the commands and publish the output here. The password will not be seen when entered, but it would work. The password is simply made invisible at the command line, that's all.

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:22 AM
  • Hello Josh,

Please explain a bit about the following questions to avoid misunderstanding:
    1. What do you mean about reimage? Reinstall?
    2. After the reimage, you back up the system to the external HDD?
    3. And you move the recovery key to the HDD?
    4. Now, you only get the screen asking for Recovery key or key in USB flash?

Please check if we can normally type in the password when you use the external HDD in other computers.
    Use the command manage-bde –tpm -turnon to enable TPM and check if the issue still exists
    I wonder if you had error in encrypt the external HDD and abnormally unplug the HDD.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:45 AM