Use libraries to gather only a specific type of file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, today a user posed an interesting question to me:  

"If this is a library, how do I set it to gather only a specific type of file?"

I thought this was a great question, so I hopped right on it.  When you make a new library, you are able to set which type of file it is optomized for, but I see no option to filter based on this.  In her case, she wanted to make a library of only her Excel files, which could be stored in a variety of places.  

At first, I Bing'd and found this link, also on the Technet Forums (Export Folder list from a Library), but ultimately found nothing too useful there.  I eventually consulted the XML Schemas directory on the Microsoft site, and came across the XML Schemas breakdown of the Library File type.  This too had some interesting stuff, but nothing that I was looking for.

My question is this, through registry entry, notepad file hacking or other cleverness, how does a user set a library to only have certain types of files in it?  For instance, one might want only .xlsx or .iso files in a particular folder. Currently, adding a path will cause your library to populate with files of every type.  It is very hard to duplicate the built-in functionality of the default Pictures, Music and Video libraries.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, the library just can bring your stuff together in one place. However, it cannot specific a certain types of files. If you include a folder to library, it will show all files in this folder.

However, you can achieve the task by copying all this type of files to one folder manually. To search doc files, type "kind:docs" without quotation in the Windows Explorer search box.

For more information about library, please refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/libraries

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:01 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the library just can bring your stuff together in one place. However, it cannot specific a certain types of files. If you include a folder to library, it will show all files in this folder.

However, you can achieve the task by copying all this type of files to one folder manually. To search doc files, type "kind:docs" without quotation in the Windows Explorer search box.

For more information about library, please refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/libraries

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:01 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:42 AM
  • I know this was a long time ago, but I wanted to add the real answer to the question so when someone else is looking for the answer, they actually get one.

1) Create a library of all the folders that you want included.

2) Change the "Arrange By" to "Type"

3) Navigate in to the file type folder you want to filter by.

4) Copy the address for the address bar and create a new shortcut or Simply drag the Icon to the Favorites.

5) Delete the library.

The shortcut link is persistent in that, all of the metadata for what is in the library and what you are filtering by is embedded in the URL/Location.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:33 PM