none
Installing 7 on a new HD

Question

• I've downloaded the ISO file and want to install it on another computer that has a new blank HD. Can I use a file splitter on the ISO image to create several DVD's?

Will 7 format the new HD as part of the installation?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:12 PM

Answers

• I suppose that you meant "several CDs".

If you want to produce a set of CDs that could be used to install Win7 onto a system without a DVD drive, I haven't read of anyone doing so.

People have extracted the iso onto bootable USB flash drives and installed from those, but that requires that the target PC be bootable from a USB flash drive.

As regards formatting a new HD, yes. (That assumes that you're not referring to an upgrade license, which may be intended to be installed on a system with an older, qualifying OS.  Details are as yet not published by Microsoft.)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:21 PM
  • bobkn is right there is no option to split the installation DVD on a set of CD's.

You can install Windows 7 from DVD, USB drive or from the network using WDS.

Here is a installation guide to install Windows 7 from USB drive http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

I use Virtual CloneDrive to mount the downloaded ISO.
    Ray
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:01 PM

All replies

• I suppose that you meant "several CDs".

If you want to produce a set of CDs that could be used to install Win7 onto a system without a DVD drive, I haven't read of anyone doing so.

People have extracted the iso onto bootable USB flash drives and installed from those, but that requires that the target PC be bootable from a USB flash drive.

As regards formatting a new HD, yes. (That assumes that you're not referring to an upgrade license, which may be intended to be installed on a system with an older, qualifying OS.  Details are as yet not published by Microsoft.)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:21 PM
  • bobkn is right there is no option to split the installation DVD on a set of CD's.

You can install Windows 7 from DVD, USB drive or from the network using WDS.

Here is a installation guide to install Windows 7 from USB drive http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

I use Virtual CloneDrive to mount the downloaded ISO.
    Ray
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:01 PM