Sharepoint Task. RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone describe a logical workflow how to perform a task to backward restore production applications and databases from production to UAT - test - Dev environments in an automated way suggesting tools that can help this process. The reason for this is that the environments are out of synch. The UAT, test and dev environments have to be scratched and reinstalled from scratch.

I'm new and would like guidance.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:27 AM

Answers

• Copying production data into testdev will not be a problem, as this can be done by SQL database backups of content DB. However, challenge is to sync application's installed.

I would suggest the following

• Compare solution management section under CA between 2 environment and list out missing WSP's.
    • Install missing WSP's on test environment.
    • Compare 12 hive folder using a file compare utility like beyond compare utility and sync them.
    • Run SPSFarmReport utility http://spsfarmreport.codeplex.com/ on both farm's and compare them
    • Compare the web.Config files of web applications between 2 farm's.
    • Once you have all solution packages installed then restore the SQL backup of prod data into your other farm.

I'm not sure about any tool that is available which will tell you a difference between 2 farm's and will automatically sync data. But I have worked out this scenario in past and followed the above steps.

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:01 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:39 AM

All replies

• Copying production data into testdev will not be a problem, as this can be done by SQL database backups of content DB. However, challenge is to sync application's installed.

I would suggest the following

• Compare solution management section under CA between 2 environment and list out missing WSP's.
    • Install missing WSP's on test environment.
    • Compare 12 hive folder using a file compare utility like beyond compare utility and sync them.
    • Run SPSFarmReport utility http://spsfarmreport.codeplex.com/ on both farm's and compare them
    • Compare the web.Config files of web applications between 2 farm's.
    • Once you have all solution packages installed then restore the SQL backup of prod data into your other farm.

I'm not sure about any tool that is available which will tell you a difference between 2 farm's and will automatically sync data. But I have worked out this scenario in past and followed the above steps.

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:01 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Thanks man. :)
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:57 AM