Startup Repair Utility - fails RRS feed

• Question

• First off does it work.

I have been called out to a customer machine.  Vista Home Premium.

Simple problem, tries to start then produces a black screen and nothing happens.

Hit F8 during reboot to get the start options.  Only two listed, Startup Repair or Normal.  Well normal wasn't working so lets try Startup Repair.

It has now been running for 3 hours on the attempting repairs...  Repairing Disk Errors.

What is going on?  You can install a new OS in about 20 minutes.  You can Ghost an image in about the same time.

The screen information is useless.  It has shown the same screen for the whole time.  There is a progress bar that simply shows a blue block running round.  There is no indication of progress by showing block counts or file names. 

Addendum (a week later)

I left the program running overnight, in fact it ran for almost 20 hours without making progress before I stopped it.  As there was no progress report I do not know at what point the program failed so I cannot give any further information.

At the very least if there was no progress the utility should timeout and give some sort of error report.

I hope this post does not get deleted as it did last week when I posted it.

Friday, February 22, 2008 11:11 AM

All replies

• Any answer for why this happens or how to fix it? It's run for 30 hours on my machine without apparent progress. I've been unable to boot off the HD and am out of options if this won't work.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:25 PM
  • It is a long time since I made the original post I had almost forgotten about it.

In the end I gave up and went for a clean install.  This was a customer machine so this was all being done with their agreement - after all they were footing the bill.  They agreed to the loss of data resulting from this.

What is disappointing is that no one from the Techy side of MS has responded to say - "Yes we know and are looking into it", "Sorry we did not know and thanks for alerting us to it", "Yes we did know and its fixed in SP1".  Surely that is just an important role for this forum as it is to offer help to other users.

• Proposed as answer by greenajj114 Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:56 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:23 AM
  • Yeah guess what I got the same ____ on Windows 7.....
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I also got the same on Windows 7.  I have searched all over for answers but to no avail.  The machine has been running over night (going on 13 hours now).  At first, about 20 minutes into the process, a screen came up wanting me to restore the machine to a previous point.  It was either that or cancel, so I decided to go for it.  I pressed the "restore" button and it has been working on it all night long.  I did just install some new hardware but the hard drives are the same from my old computer, thus shouldn't Windows 7 be functional?

New hardware installed: 

• EVGA nForce 730i GeForce 9300 Socket 775 MB  to replace stock motherboard off a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 computer
      (Dell Dimension SPS Gen 5 Motherboard GC068)
    • Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case to replace casing from stock case off the Dell XPS Gen 5 computer
    • Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6M to replace the stock Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 640, SKT-T, Male
    • ULTRA CHILLTEC AM2/775/I7 CPU COOLER

I did just recently install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on that computer before upgrading the hardware and it worked fine.  Any information relevant to why Windows 7 doesn't work when it comes to the start-up repair would be very helpful.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I had the same problem too to my Windows 7 laptop, because it crashed sometimes so I turned it off by pressing and holiding the switch, but now, the startup utility keeps appearing
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 2:22 PM
  • That is exactly the steps i took and the reason i'm searching for an answer - the "repair your computer" has been running for about 24 hours now without any sign of life...i can't click "cancel" because it says that "the current opperation cannot be cancelled"...
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:35 PM