Business Reporter 6.2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue where the business wants to use business reporter no matter what, and yes we have told them that support ends in 4 months. One other item is they are using PerformancePoint Planning which requires SQL Server 2005 SP2 CU3.

Is there a way to use 6.2 Business Reporter with a 6.3 analytics server/web professional environment or should I use 6.2 for analytics server/web professional? Thus leading us into another issue of will 6.2 support SQL Server 2005 SP2 or greater and if given a choice should we stay with Excel 2003 vs 2007.

Is this even possible or is there a way we should or should not do this?

Thanks,
    Reeves

Denver, CO
    Monday, March 9, 2009 4:52 PM

All replies

•  Hello Reeves:

In our environment, we are running PAS 6.3 SP2 on the server with clients running Web Pro 6.3 SP2 and BRE 6.2.  I have most cubes on SQL 2000 still and we also have rolled out  some on SQL 2008.  many clients are still using Office 2003, but I have been successful in upgrading to office 2007.  The trick is to install BRE with Excel 2003 installed.  Once BRE is  installed. you can upgrade to Excel 2007 then move/copy the OlapReporter.xla  file from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Library" to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library"

This setup has been working fine in my environment for several months without any major issues.

Regards,

Roland
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Roland,

Thanks for the info for sure.  Nice to know that piece can be done. 

The only other issue is this project is also using PerformancePoint Planning and thus requiring SQL Server 2005 SP2.  That was the real question as that seem to be the sticking point. Did you guys try it on SQL Server 2005 as I see you rolled back SQL Server 2008 which seems very much like SQL Server 2005 SP2.

thanks for the time.
    Reeves

Denver, CO
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hello Reeves:

PPS Planning is a whole other animal.  I do not have any experience rolling this out here.  but ProClarity will support any SQL version (2000, 2005 or 2008).  PPS planning requires SQL 2005 for its cubes and probably will support SQL 2008 soon if not already.  I am assuming here that you want to have just one SSAS instance for your cubes and PPS planning cubes.

As for the clients, PPS Planning installs an Add-in to Excel ( I think it supports 2003 or 2007).  There might be a conflict between this and BRE, but again no experience with this.

What version of SQL are your cubes in?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Hey Roland,

We are running SQL Server 2005 SP3 of Analysis Services.

My big issue is that the 6.2/6.3 configuration is not supported at all and the product (BRE) has an end of life in 4 months and this is a new development effort. It just seems like a bad direction to go for a new effort. 

What are your plans for a product migration in the future?

Denver, CO
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:59 PM