AreaNavigationSettings.aspx - unknown error RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have a consultant working with a sharepoint subsite at work. Now he can't access the Modify Navigation Settings. The error message is:

Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object.   at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Navigation.PortalSiteMapNode.GetNavigationChildren(NodeTypes
    includedTypes, NodeTypes includedHiddenTypes, Boolean securityTrimmingEnabled,
    OrderingMethod ordering, AutomaticSortingMethod method, Boolean ascending, Int32
    lcid)
       at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String
    parentId, PortalSiteMapNode node, Int32 depth, Int32 maxDepth)
       at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.AddChildrenToControl(String
       at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.InitializeNavigationEditSort()

at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.OnLoad(EventArgs
    e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
    Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I know for a fact that he has deleted a page. And there is also an error message on the quicklaunch navigation bar.(where the link to the page should have been) I have tried to recreate the page, then the link works(though it still displayserror) the AreaNavigationSettings.aspx however still displays the same error message. Has anyone experienced this problem before? The site is a sharepoint 2007 subsite.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:24 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Here are a few more thins to chec:

• Check  whether you have added  links to pages that have been checked out or page that doesn’t have a major version. If so, you need to check in these pages and publish it.
      • Check whether you have added relative links on the quick launch. If so ,you can refer to KB 976580 for help.

For more information about KB 976580, please refer to these sites:

You cannot view the AreaNavigationSettings.aspx page in Office SharePoint Server 2007 after you create a relative URL: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;976580

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:25 AM

All replies

• We currently have a consultant working with a sharepoint subsite at work. Now he can't access the Modify Navigation Settings. The error message is:

Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object.   at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Navigation.PortalSiteMapNode.GetNavigationChildren(NodeTypes
    includedTypes, NodeTypes includedHiddenTypes, Boolean securityTrimmingEnabled,
    OrderingMethod ordering, AutomaticSortingMethod method, Boolean ascending, Int32
    lcid)
       at
       at
       at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.InitializeNavigationEditSort()

at
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.CodeBehind.AreaNavigationSettingsPage.OnLoad(EventArgs
    e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
    Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I know for a fact that he has deleted a page. And there is also an error message on the quicklaunch navigation bar.(where the link to the page should have been) I have tried to recreate the page, then the link works(though it still displays error) the AreaNavigationSettings.aspx however still displays the same error message. Has anyone experienced this problem before? The site is a sharepoint 2007 subsite.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi ,

I understand that you have customized the navigation in browser and now you cannot access AreaNavigationSettings.aspx page. There is a similar case that the user have deleted the page which have been added to the navigation bar, then the AreaNavigationSettings.aspx cannot show up correctly. He fixes this issue by recreating the page in the page library again.

You can refer to the audit log to see which related page is deleted, or are there any other links have been modified that needs to be updated.

For more information about the debug process, you can refer to this site:

Unknown Error in SharePoint 2007 – another way to “debug” : http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/mpoole/archive/2010/11/22/unknown-error-in-sharepoint-2007-debug.aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Hi Entan Ming, thanx for your quick reply.

As i mentioned, I have tried to recreate the deleted page. However the link name continues to show up as error.
    If I click the "error link", i works normally and I am taken to the correct page. However when I try to modfy the navigation, the error message shows.

Any other ideas as to how I can solve this, without having to scrap the entire subsite?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Hi ,

Here are a few more thins to chec:

• Check  whether you have added  links to pages that have been checked out or page that doesn’t have a major version. If so, you need to check in these pages and publish it.
      • Check whether you have added relative links on the quick launch. If so ,you can refer to KB 976580 for help.

For more information about KB 976580, please refer to these sites:

You cannot view the AreaNavigationSettings.aspx page in Office SharePoint Server 2007 after you create a relative URL: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;976580

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:25 AM