none
general question about DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to replicate Running VM from one Hyper V host to another (no shared storage, standalone hosts).

Would I be able at any time to shutdown Running machine and start Replicated one without any :) administration effort?

Thanks,

Michael.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis
    • Edited by pob579 Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:30 AM correction
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:48 PM

Answers

• Buchatech,

I have 2 powerfull HV hosts. The project iincludes 4 VMs. 3 APPS and 1 SQL. With eliminating shared storage I have important advantages:

less complexity, faster local storage and finally money. The money I prefer to put to good Backup software allowing to make scheduled backup of VMs and be able to start VM from backup without any effort. Basically, I don't need failover. I want to place 3 APPS VMs on one host and SQL server on another. Each host is capable to run all 4 machines.

So, the idea is - in case of one host failure to restore any VM on alternate host.

I know that with local storage I can use Windows backup for backing up VM. I tried to backup test VM (whole folder) but not succeded to start the VM. However, when I backed up vhd and attached it to new VM it run without any problem.

I thought that Data Protector is able to backup running VM. And will allow to start the machine after importing it to SCVMM.

I guess this scenario should work. In my initial post I mentioned replication... Let's call it backup. All what I need from DPM to make sure my VM could be started.

Thanks,

Michael.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Hi Michael,

If you don’t need HA and you simply need to be able to boot a VM that was recovered from DPM that won’t be a problem. I have recovered virtual machines this way many times and DPM has proven to be reliable. I now have a copy of dBeamer!DPM and I am looking deeper into testing dBeamer!DPM as an alternative to HA.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Buchatech,

thank you very much for the answers.

I looked at DBeamer. Interesting. Could serve me for upcoming project.

I still didn't try DPM. Want to use it from SCE Plus.

So you say there is no problem with starting up a VM backed up by DPM on a stand alone host? (not talking about dBeamer).

Hello Again,

You can do some management and monitoring of DPM from SCE 2010. Yes you can take a restored VM from DPM and boot up on another Hyper-V host with no problem. dBeamer is not required. It is a third party app for DPM. dBeamer is only needed if you want HA. For example dBeamer says you can start using the VM even during the restore. DPM will not give you that feature. The VM has to be fully restored and then started up on the new host before it can be used. If you don’t need HA then DPM should work just fine for you.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, July 1, 2011 8:30 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Pob579,

DPM cannot accomplish what you want it to natively. I recommend setting up a Hyper-V cluster for this instead of using DPM. If you have a spare server around you can easily turn that spare server into shared storage using Starwind software (<cite>www.starwindsoftware.com</cite><cite>).</cite><cite> </cite>

<cite> </cite>

There is an option to use DPM for this I came across a company that has a product that can turn DPM into a high availability solution. It is called dBeamer!DPM. I have not used this solution myself. The company says the software enables you to use DPM for HA with standalone servers.

When data failure occurs, dBeamer!DPM can instantly recover the affected data set from Microsoft DPM and make them available to a data server, be it a stand-alone unit or part of a cluster. In this deployment scenario, dBeamer!DPM provides high availability to a high availability (clustered-server) solution.

dBeamer!DPM can also instantly restore a virtual machine, together with the latter's data content, thus allowing a failed service to be resumed within seconds. The effect of this recovery capability on performance closely mimics that of a conventional HA solution; the difference being that instead of using a standby machine for failover, dBeamer!DPM relies on the data captured by DPM to enable instant failover.

Here is the link to their site: http://www.instavia.com/dbeamer-for-dpm

Good Luck!

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Buchatech,

I have 2 powerfull HV hosts. The project iincludes 4 VMs. 3 APPS and 1 SQL. With eliminating shared storage I have important advantages:

less complexity, faster local storage and finally money. The money I prefer to put to good Backup software allowing to make scheduled backup of VMs and be able to start VM from backup without any effort. Basically, I don't need failover. I want to place 3 APPS VMs on one host and SQL server on another. Each host is capable to run all 4 machines.

So, the idea is - in case of one host failure to restore any VM on alternate host.

I know that with local storage I can use Windows backup for backing up VM. I tried to backup test VM (whole folder) but not succeded to start the VM. However, when I backed up vhd and attached it to new VM it run without any problem.

I thought that Data Protector is able to backup running VM. And will allow to start the machine after importing it to SCVMM.

I guess this scenario should work. In my initial post I mentioned replication... Let's call it backup. All what I need from DPM to make sure my VM could be started.

Thanks,

Michael.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Buchatech,

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

If you don’t need HA and you simply need to be able to boot a VM that was recovered from DPM that won’t be a problem. I have recovered virtual machines this way many times and DPM has proven to be reliable. I now have a copy of dBeamer!DPM and I am looking deeper into testing dBeamer!DPM as an alternative to HA.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Buchatech,

So you say there is no problem with starting up a VM backed up by DPM on a stand alone host? (not talking about dBeamer).

• Edited by pob579 Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:43 AM typo
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:42 AM
  • Buchatech,

Hello Again,

You can do some management and monitoring of DPM from SCE 2010. Yes you can take a restored VM from DPM and boot up on another Hyper-V host with no problem. dBeamer is not required. It is a third party app for DPM. dBeamer is only needed if you want HA. For example dBeamer says you can start using the VM even during the restore. DPM will not give you that feature. The VM has to be fully restored and then started up on the new host before it can be used. If you don’t need HA then DPM should work just fine for you.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, July 1, 2011 8:30 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hi Pob579,

I completed testing of dBeamer!DPM. I wrote up an article on my findings. Here is a link to my post on this: http://www.buchatech.com/2011/08/dbeamerdpm/

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:02 AM