none
How can I stop a task being split over two days? If this can be done, can it also be applied to multiple tasks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a little trouble with Project's scheduling, allow me to explain....

There is work to be done in a block of 249 occupied flats. To start simply we'll consider one of the jobs, some builders work, that takes 3 hours. The resource available is a Builder whose Max. Units are 100%. The working day is 8 hours.

So I've set up 249 tasks with the resource allocated, no dependencies. If left to its own devices Project will simply schedule them one after another which is fair enough. So on the first day two of the tasks are completed, plus two hours of the third task. The remaining hour of the third task is scheduled on the second day, followed by all of task four and five, and one hour of task six...and so it goes on.

For this particular project that style of working is not acceptable. The builders work task must be completed on the same day that it starts, with no overtime.

Is there a way to make Project do this? Basically if there isn't a 3 hour slot for the task, push it to the next time that there is (i.e. the next working day).

Now to make things a little more complicated...

In reality this builders work is not going to be carried out in isolation. Once the builders work has been completed a cleaner will come and clean the flat, and then an inspector will come and inspect the flat.

So there is 3 hours of work to be carried out by the builder, followed by 1 hour of work by the cleaner, followed by 15 minutes of work by the inspector.

You may have already figured out where I'm going with this. What I want to achieve is scheduling on the basis that all 3 of these tasks must be carried out one after another on the same day, otherwise the group of tasks should be pushed to the next time they can be (i.e next working day). The resident of a flat is not going to be very happy if the builder clocks off at 5pm, and the cleaner isn't scheduled to come until 8am the next morning!

If anyone has any ideas how to achieve this that would be fantastic. I would like to get it scheduling this automatically so that I can play around with resource levels (e.g. use Max. Units to increase the number of builders available etc.) to see what impact it has on the end date.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:22 AM

Answers

• This can be done. After every Build task, add a task called Move to Next Apartment or similar. Create a new Calendar with a 5 hour day and assign it to each move task.

If each Build task is linked to a move task, then they will only start if there is time to finish because move tasks can't happen later than 2 pm. To optimise, I would have builders work from 8-5, cleaners from 11-6 and inspectors from 12-6:15. This allows each builder to do two a day.

Have 6 builders to get one cleaner working full time and you can workout how many gangs needed to keep an inspector working full time if you need to.

Builders working in pairs can do 5 units a day, but may not work efficiently enough to make it worthwhile.

Good luck!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:22 AM

All replies

• This can be done. After every Build task, add a task called Move to Next Apartment or similar. Create a new Calendar with a 5 hour day and assign it to each move task.

If each Build task is linked to a move task, then they will only start if there is time to finish because move tasks can't happen later than 2 pm. To optimise, I would have builders work from 8-5, cleaners from 11-6 and inspectors from 12-6:15. This allows each builder to do two a day.

Have 6 builders to get one cleaner working full time and you can workout how many gangs needed to keep an inspector working full time if you need to.

Builders working in pairs can do 5 units a day, but may not work efficiently enough to make it worthwhile.

Good luck!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Thanks very much for the help Rod, I was able to achieve the desired effect by assigning additional calendars at task level as you suggested.

Also you are quite correct in your assessment that it is not an efficient way to work. As they say, "Ours is not to reason why." ;)

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:27 PM