none
Integration Services VSS - Non-Recoverable Error

Question

• Hello,

I installed Hyper-V 2016 core server with 3 VMs. All three are supported by Hyper-V 2016

https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/supported-windows-guest-operating-systems-for-hyper-v-on-windows

But problem is that I cannot create Checkpoint in Hyper-V manager. When I un-tick the option "Create standard checkpoints if it’s not possible to create a production checkpoint" the checkpoint finished with error "VM could not initiate a checkpoint operation"

When I used powershell "Get-VMIntegrationService -VMName *" reason is:

VMName Name                    Enabled PrimaryStatusDescription SecondaryStatusDescription
    ------ ----                    ------- ------------------------ --------------------------
    webn   Guest Service Interface True    OK
    webn   Heartbeat               True    OK                       OK
    webn   Key-Value Pair Exchange True    OK
    webn   Shutdown                True    OK
    webn   Time Synchronization    True    OK                       The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    webn   VSS                     True    OK                       The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    SQL    Guest Service Interface True    No Contact
    SQL    Heartbeat               True    Non-Recoverable Error    The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    SQL    Key-Value Pair Exchange True    Non-Recoverable Error    The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    SQL    Shutdown                True    OK                       The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    SQL    Time Synchronization    True    OK                       The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    SQL    VSS                     True    Non-Recoverable Error    The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...
    AD     Guest Service Interface True    OK
    AD     Heartbeat               True    OK                       OK
    AD     Key-Value Pair Exchange True    OK
    AD     Shutdown                True    OK
    AD     Time Synchronization    True    No Contact
    AD     VSS                     True    Non-Recoverable Error    The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine doe...

"Get-VM | ft Name, IntegrationServicesVersion, Version"

Name IntegrationServicesVersion Version
    ---- -------------------------- -------
    AD   0.0                        8.0
    SQL  0.0                        8.0
    webn 0.0                        8.0

The VMs are following:

webn - Windows Web Server 2008 R2

SQL -  Windows Standard Server 2008 SP2

AD - Windows Standard Server 2008 R2

All of this VMs was created in Hyper-V 2016 Core. The VM are 1 Generation. All VMs are updated, Hyper-V is updated.

Do you have anybody idea how resolve this issue?

I do not want to install Hyper-V 2012 R2 which working fine.

Thank you all.

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi TomTom0909,

>>"Get-VM | ft Name, IntegrationServicesVersion, Version"

Name IntegrationServicesVersion Version
    ---- -------------------------- -------
    AD   0.0                        8.0
    SQL  0.0                        8.0
    webn 0.0                        8.0

I have also seen this phenomenon in other posts and also in my lab. The integrationservicesversion showing 0.0.

The integration services are updated through windows update, have you tried to install the latest updates on the VMs?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thank you for reply. I installed all availiable updates and every day I check if are not offered some new.

Is possible to download and install the Integration service update manualy? I found, downloaded and installed in Microsoft Download Center but it reslove some unkown devices, but some are still unknow

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/33796.hyper-v-integration-services-list-of-build-numbers.aspx?CommentPosted=true&tduid=(fc348a7a914810ffd7b6a6ccb7362ec3)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-BnxAX7EwfA60I0SLNnP9GA)()#commentmessage&ranMID=24542&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-BnxAX7EwfA60I0SLNnP9GA

But it is for hyper V 2012 R2, to 2016 I found nothing.

I hope that is not problem, but this servers were migrated to VM via disk2VHD and were not clean installation.

Thank you

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:14 AM
  • Hi TomTom0909,

>>Is possible to download and install the Integration service update manualy?

It is not an officially supported operation.

>>I hope that is not problem, but this servers were migrated to VM via disk2VHD and were not clean installation.

I suppose it maybe the issue.

There are lots of posts about the strange issues caused by P2V. Troubleshooting is really difficult and time-consuming.

I suggest you build a new VM instead of P2V.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:26 AM