none
Application Server Name Changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We have configured a test sever (replica of application server) some months before, to test some general scenarios. And everything was going perfectly till that day when one admin group person mistakenly changed the server name.

Now the PWA is gone... even the SharePoint Central Admin Site is also invisible..

My question here is if I change my Server name again to the original one, will we be able to get back our PWA site somehow? Please mention the procedure..

What should now be done?

TIA

Manish

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi

Just my opinion.

It seems if you want to change server name, you have to follow what Khurram Jamshed has provided the steps above, but if you have already changed the server name, the chances are minimal that you be able to get the up and running again.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Manish,

You need to use the following powershell command to rename your Farm server:

Rename-SPServer [-Identity] <SPServerPipeBind> -Name <String> [-AssignmentCollection <SPAssignmentCollection>] [-Confirm [<SwitchParameter>]] [-WhatIf [<SwitchParameter>]]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607556.aspx

you can also use the Stsadm command to achieve the same, however PowerShell is the Microsoft recommend way on SharePoint 2010.

stsadm -o renameserver   -oldservername <oldServerName>   -newservername <newServerName>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263117(office.12).aspx

If your server name is already changed, then just restart the server (if you havent done so) and use any of the above command to update your server name.

hope that helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Hi Jamshed

First of all thank you for the answer. But still my CA Site & the PWA Site is not working. Can you please give me detailed steps to follow, so that I can again make it workable. TIA 

Manish

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi Jamshed.

Respected your kind help, but what I tried to mention is that when I executed the above power shell command, it executed without errors. I restarted the server and still the site is not available for use. So I wanted to know that still I should look for some procedures or maybe I need to give up (wrt that server). Since running that script and restarting the server didnt helped me out.

Thanks Again.

Manish

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hi Manish,

You need to use this command in order rename your server name, however if you have already changed the server name, then try stsadm command to rename the server name. Because powershell will not work in this case if the server on which the configuration database is stored has already been renamed.

try this command as administrator: stsadm -o renameserver   -oldservername <oldServerName>   -newservername <newServerName>

restart the server, and run the configuration wizard to finalize the changes.

try this and i hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hi

Just my opinion.

It seems if you want to change server name, you have to follow what Khurram Jamshed has provided the steps above, but if you have already changed the server name, the chances are minimal that you be able to get the up and running again.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:17 AM