Outlook 2010 Apply Rule After Message is Read RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know a way to apply a rule only after a message has been read? The options are "Apply this rule after message arrives/is sent." I would like all my mail to go into my inbox, be able to open it, then when i close it the rule runs and the mail gets sorted appropriately. The reason for this is that I get mail on my phone, but only the Inbox updates automatically and notifies me. For subfolders I have to manually go into each one and update, and there are too many folders to do that with. Ideally, I would receive mail and get a notification, read it, then have it automatically sorted into the appropriate subfolder.

The mailbox is on Exchange Server 2010 and my workstation is running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. On my phone my email account is set up via Corporate Sync on Android 2.2.

Thanks.

Friday, November 26, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This isn't possible by rules. Outlook's rules only work upon message arrival.
    You must look into VBA solutions in order to make this possible. There is a microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba newsgroup that perhaps can help you on your way.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This isn't possible by rules. Outlook's rules only work upon message arrival.
    You must look into VBA solutions in order to make this possible. There is a microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba newsgroup that perhaps can help you on your way.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Did you  ever find the answer to this?

You need to run your rules manually

RULES

Manage Rules & Alerts

Run Rules Now

(select all of the rules you would like to run, make certain that the rules are not set up to "stop processing more rules"

at the bottom of the run rules now box...you'll see Apply rules to: choose Read Messages

Run Now

• Proposed as answer by csp122 Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:07 PM
  • dscott23's suggestion worked for me... it's 'manual' in a sense, but it lets me move all the messages that i've read on my phone (when i get logged onto a desktop running outlook), plus there's no need to code anything in vba.

• Edited by csp122 Friday, August 17, 2012 2:08 AM typo
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:40 PM
  • You can try using the Auto-Mate Outlook add-in by Pergenex Software. It has the ability to create rules that run in the background once per hour, or at a particular time of day.
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:13 PM
  • There is no rule, the easier way is have you rules setup then. When you need to check your new email use the the Unread button under Inbox. It will show you all the unread mail from all the folders. When you are done reading they will disappear from unread obviously and will be in the respective folders.
    Friday, January 1, 2016 4:10 AM
  • There use to be a rule like that. It would be nice if MS brought it back.
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:53 PM