Instructions or steps for upgrading MDT to support Windows 10 Imaging RRS feed

• Question

• Do you know if there is a set of instructions or a step-by-step guide for upgrading an older version of MDT and it's components(like the ADK) to the newest version?  I inherited an older version MDT 2013 ver. 6.2.5019.0 running on a VMWare hosted Windows 2008 R2 Standard server and have never needed to upgrade it until now. We have been using it to image computers with Windows 7 Pro 32bit & 64bit for the past 5yrs. Now I need to start imaging with Windows 10 Creator's Edition.  I have downloaded the correct ADK and MDT installation files but not sure exactly how to proceed.  

Is there a particular installation order required when upgrading these two programs?  

Do I need to re-create my tasks sequences from scratch after the upgrade is finished or just execute the  right-click "Update Deployment Share" in Workbench? 

How will WinPE and my boot images be affected (LiteTouchPE_x86.wim & LiteTouchPE_x64.wim)? 

Do I need to add/upgrade any drivers in the new boot WIMs? 

I appreciate your feed back.

Lynchburg Mike

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:18 PM

All replies

• The ADK does not upgrade or overwrite itself and having multiple ADKs on a system creates problems.  Uninstall the existing ADK and install the new ADK.  You can then install the new version of MDT (no need to remove the old version).  Once that is done, you will need to run Update Deployment Share.  You will need to generate a new WinPE as you are now using a new ADK.

The task sequences SHOULD still work (but there have been occasional issues which seem to require creating new task sequences to resolve).

The newer ADKs are Windows 10 based.  If the ADK you have been using is Windows 7 or 8 based (WinPE 5 or older), you will need to use Windows 10 drivers in WinPE

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Thank you BiAtE-Z,  I appreciate your response.  When you state ".  If the ADK you have been using is Windows 7 or 8 based (WinPE 5 or older), you will need to use Windows 10 drivers in WinPE"  

Windows 8.1 (8.100.26629) version of ADK was installed.  Regarding your comment about using Windows 10 drivers for WinPE,  do I need to replace all of the NIC and hard drive drivers with Windows 10 versions for WinPE?  There is a "All Packages" under the Drivers object in Deployment Workbench utility and the list of installed drivers is very long.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Windows 10 ADK requires using Windows 10 drivers for WinPE or you will run into problems.  Otherwise, the drivers should match the OS being deployed (W7 drivers for W7 OS, etc.)

I keep a separate folder in Out-Of-Box drivers labelled WinPE and copy any drivers I want to WinPE to load there (allows me to keep Windows 10 drivers for WinPE separate from any other OS drivers I am loading)

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:49 PM
  • There is a WinPE folder object under the Out-of-Box Drivers object in my deployment share too. There are about a dozen NIC drivers and a VMware virtual NIC driver in both the x86 & x64 folders. 

However I was referring to the drivers which are installed in the WDS module, i.e. under WDS->Servers->Servername->Drivers->All Packagesfolder object.  Mine contains ton of NIC drivers from different model computers that have accumulated over the years.  Earlier this year I had problems with a new Dell model attempting to boot into PXE mode. Kept failing until I found and installed specific WinPE NIC drivers from Dell. I installed these only in WDS using the right-click Add Driver Package function.

I now need to find the Windows 10 drivers for WinPE to install as well.  Fortunately I only need to find them for two or three models of Dell desktops and laptops.  

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:20 PM
  • I follow this guide.

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/613/Building-a-Windows-10-v1703-reference-image-using-MDT

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:41 PM
  • Thanks ItGuy,  those steps look very similar to the ones here by Michael Niehaus and Brian Lich: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/create-a-windows-10-reference-image.

but these steps seem different and much more complicated than the way I am used to building, capturing, and deploying an image, but I can see the benefit there for a fully automated process. I capture my VM the "old fashion" way I guess.  I already created a VMware Windows 10 Pro reference computer and installed most of the apps I need. This is the way I have done it it for our Windows 7 image.  It is definitely a fat WIM.  Then I connect to my deployment share from the VM and run the LiteTouch VBS to capture and create the WIM on my deployment server.  

Then I build the tasks sequence in WorkBench, apply my captured WIM, OOB drivers, and so on.  Then I start deploying. I have not done this yet with my new Windows 10 Pro reference VM, been doing it this way for years with a Windows 7 Pro VM and figured it will work the same way for my Windows 10 Pro VM.

If I am not understanding something please feel free to let me know.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hello Mike,

I'm in a similar situation - I have MDT ver. 6.2.5019.0 and ADK for Windows 8.1 installed and I want to upgrade these to the latest versions so that I can deploy Windows 10 images.

If I uninstalled ADK 8.1 and then install the latest ADK for Windows 10, version 1709 would my existing MDT Windows 7 images still be available to deploy or would I need to configure everything again?

I'm just wondering how your upgrade went and if you have any advice? At the moment my Windows 7 deployments work very well and I'm terrified I'm going to run into problems by uninstalling the old ADK and installing the new version.

Kind regards,

Danny

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:33 AM
  • You should always uninstall the old ADK before installing a new one. Currently you will still be able to deploy Windows 7 images using the latest ADK. I don't imagine that will change until Windows 7 is no longer supported.

The currently latest MDT is 6.3.8450.1000

You will likely need to make new task sequences considering the version you're still on.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for your reply - I think I'm going to go ahead and do this. I don't have that many task sequences so recreating them shouldn't be a problem - I just hope I'm able to deploy again without issues after moving to the latest version.

Danny

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:39 PM