none
GPO shows in GPRESULTS but not being applied

Question

• Quick rundown.  Have a Windows Server 2012 R2 server and Windows 7 SP1 x64 client.  I used SCCM to push out IE11 and the cumulative IE11 security update to a small group of PC's for testing.  I setup a GPO for this small group to enable enterprise mode and to give the end user the option to enable enterprise mode for any site they'd like.  IE11 and the cumulative security update installed just fine on all the computers.  However, only one computer is actually applying the enterprise mode GPO I setup.  All the computers show the IE11 GPO I made when I open command prompt and do gpresult /r so I know its getting them, but for some reason its not actually applying it because those users don't see enterprise mode as an option under tools, except for the one PC.  Anyone have any ideas on what could be happening?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 4:35 PM

Answers

• Check if the registry values have landed - if so, then it's IE11 which isn't honouring the registry

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode!Enable
     HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode!Enable

The only time I've seen it do that, is if a reboot is needed (post patching IE11), or, the CU for IE is missing.

GP delivers the registry setting - after that, it's up to the product (in this case, IE) to act/implement according to the registry values.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi. check with gpresult /H result.html command. It will replace result.html file to %userprofile% folder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely!

Khalid Garayev

* Please don't forget to mark as answer or Vote if it helps!

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Hi Dolla,

First, I suggest you run gpresult /h <file path> to check the result.

Second, to check are there any related errors in the Event Viewer. If yes, please post them for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Check if the registry values have landed - if so, then it's IE11 which isn't honouring the registry

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode!Enable
     HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\EnterpriseMode!Enable

The only time I've seen it do that, is if a reboot is needed (post patching IE11), or, the CU for IE is missing.

GP delivers the registry setting - after that, it's up to the product (in this case, IE) to act/implement according to the registry values.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:24 AM