Phone Lock for Lync 2010 Phone Edition vs Device Phone Lock RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I set PIN for a enterprise voice user. THe user dial his extension and PIN, but immediately he needs to set a phone PIN, so he is handle two PIN.

I know i could be the same PIN, but is there a way to just handle one PIN?

Regards.

Regards. José Osorio.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• In Control Panel, Clients, Device configuration, open a scope you want to modify and remove the check mark form "Enforce device locking". Commit, wait for replication to complete, reboot the unit and try again. You should not be prompted for "Device Pin".

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    • Proposed as answer by Rowen-Xu Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jose Osorio R. _ Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• In Control Panel, Clients, Device configuration, open a scope you want to modify and remove the check mark form "Enforce device locking". Commit, wait for replication to complete, reboot the unit and try again. You should not be prompted for "Device Pin".

Drago

• Proposed as answer by Rowen-Xu Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jose Osorio R. _ Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:19 PM
  •  

No, unfortunately Device pin is set on the device and extension/meeting pin is set within Lync.

It's a bit annoying but for this release at least that's the way it is.

As Drago says you could disable the device pin if you wanted.

hope that helps

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Drago,

Please, could you tell me if it's possible to disable device PIN for all Lync Phone:

Polycom (Optimized for Lync)

Snom (Certified for Lync)

Audiocodes

Regards.

Regards. José Osorio.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Unlike OCS, Lync devices receive in-band provisioning

Because the PIN settings (required or not, and for how long if Yes) is set via Policy, the devices receive the Policy settings upon boot immediately OR on certain interval when the policy is queried. Think of it this way - The policy is by default set to Required. You start the device for first time and are asked to select PIN (in order to unlock the device later). You change the policy to "Do not require". After period of time, the device queries and applies the changed policy and no longer locks. To force the device to immediately apply the new rule, a reboot is required.

The above applies to all Lync certified devices. Currently there is no Snom device certified as "works with Lync" publicly available and so, Snom does not respect any policies sent via in-band provisioning. This includes PIN lock as well.

What Audiocodes has to do with this? Is there a special reason you asking?

Drago

Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:58 PM
  • I mentioned audiocodes, because they also have some Phone that could be connected to Lync through Mediant 1000 Gateway with SPS software.

Regards.

Regards. José Osorio.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:46 PM
  • No worries. You will connect the phone to FXO port and so, Lync cannot control it by any means.

Drago

Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:07 PM
  • This is semi-related..  I think it is possible to require a pin for some users but not for others.  On users that do nto want a pin on their phone is there a way to tell the phone to not integrate their calendar and require them to enter a pin if somebody hits their voice mail button.  I can see people not wanting to enter a pic to access their phone but still want some security for the voice mail and other data they can get from the phone.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Robert,

We can only create new "Device Configuration" with scope:site. If two users in the same site have different requirements, one will have to bite the bullet :-) I hope we will see User scope in Wave15, although this would be a overkill from management prospective.

Drago

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:41 AM
  • I wouldn't see is necessarily as a mangement overkill.  For instance, currently, I am attempting to setup a policy for Lync Courtesy phones.  These are the phones that are sitting in a lobby for the public to use that are usually restricted to just local and internal calls.  I want to disable having to enter the PIN for the phone to be used and the only way I seem to be able to NOT require a pin is to turn it off at the site level which also turns off PIN requirement for ALL phones in the organization. 

Unless that is someone has a better idea for me on how to do this for ONLY the courtesy phones?

John K. Boslooper Windows Server Administrator UT Dallas

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:19 PM
  • The Pin is only used to protect some of the more advanced features of the phone like accessing your contacts and calendar.  The phone will still be able to make and receive calls just fine even if it is locked.  I was concerned about this at first too but since the phone still acts like a phone even when its locked it has not been a concern.

Robert

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:19 PM
  • I wouldn't see is necessarily as a mangement overkill.  For instance, currently, I am attempting to setup a policy for Lync Courtesy phones.  These are the phones that are sitting in a lobby for the public to use that are usually restricted to just local and internal calls.  I want to disable having to enter the PIN for the phone to be used and the only way I seem to be able to NOT require a pin is to turn it off at the site level which also turns off PIN requirement for ALL phones in the organization. 

Unless that is someone has a better idea for me on how to do this for ONLY the courtesy phones?

For such scenarios, a Lync "Common Area Phone" would be a better fit IMO. See Configuring common area phones This phone use pin only for settings change, like ringer type, timezone. Anyone at any given time can use those phones for inbound/outbound calls. These phones also don't keep the "call log", so you don't have to worry about "privacy" issues

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:33 PM