none
Can my Friends use Power Query without Power BI of Office 365 license ? RRS feed

• Question

• Can my Friends use Power Query without Power BI of Office 365 license ?
    they have Microsoft Excel 2013 license. and they want to use Power Query add-on in Excel.
    they currently don't want Power BI.

I want to recommend Power Query for Excel to them before recommending Power BI.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:27 AM

Answers

• Yes. Power Query can be used without a Power BI for Office 365 license. You just need to have one of the supported editions of Office/Excel. For 2013, this essentially means Office 2013 Professional Plus, Office 365 ProPlus or Excel 2013 Standalone.

Hope this helps.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group - Microsoft

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:31 AM

All replies

• Yes. Power Query can be used without a Power BI for Office 365 license. You just need to have one of the supported editions of Office/Excel. For 2013, this essentially means Office 2013 Professional Plus, Office 365 ProPlus or Excel 2013 Standalone.

Hope this helps.

Faisal Mohamood | Program Manager | Data Platform Group - Microsoft

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Thank you, Faisal for your quick response.

I will recommend Power Query to my friends.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:38 AM
  • Hi Faisal,

I am using power BI and in that My Power BI is there in that there is an option Data in that option one option is there which is my query.

When I click on that it shows blank. nothing is there in it.

How can I write query in My Power BI?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Darsh, if you're trying to write a new query using Power Query, then this is the forum for you. Do get start you'll need to download/install the Power Query add-in and then use the From <datasource> buttons in the Power Query ribbon in Excel.

For questions about other parts of Power BI, please ask a new question and post it in the relevant forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/newthread?category=powerbi&forum

Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:10 PM